Salt Lake City, UT
The digital reporter is a long-form enterprise writer with a passion for digging deeper into a story through public records, FOIAs, relationships with agency contacts and cold calling potential story sources and subjects.
The ideal candidate will identify, research, and investigate story topics and deliver them in a way that resonates with readers. Must be able to provide context and advance additional layers to a story. A digital reporter's primary responsibility is to write relevant engaging shareable stories that generate web traffic for ABC4.com while also promoting that content through our many digital platforms. Not all stories need to be traditional news, some stories may be about technology, the arts, science, etc. This is position largely centered around working from a desk while conducting research and making calls.
This is a position that is evaluated by web traffic growth, meaning this candidate must be able to prioritize growing ABC4.com web/app traffic while balancing/maintaining journalistic integrity. This is not an on-air position; however, opportunities may arise to discuss stories on broadcast platforms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Write on average 3-4 regional, and sometimes national, long form (650) words+) web stories per shift
• Create thoughtful buzzy headlines that encourages pageviews but does not bait the reader
• Conduct phone interviews and gather data for each story
• Build relationships with local leaders and agencies
• Package stories for recirc in an engaging manner to increase website pages per session and decrease bounce rate
• Work with producers and reporters on adding video to web stories when necessary
• Generate meaningful audience engagement on social media without baiting
• Utilize SEO best practices daily)
• Minimum two years of print or digital journalism experience
• Proficiency in AP Style writing
• Can type at least 60 words per minute
• Familiar with the FOIA and GRAMA process
• Familiar with SEO importance and best practices
• Expert in writing accurate, in-depth, digital news stories
• Expert in finding and pitching resonating story ideas that grow web traffic
• Comfortable with cold calling to develop stories
• Highly detail-oriented with an instinct for newsroom judgement
• Must be self-starting in seeking out engaging shareable stories
• Must possess journalistic integrity and understanding of reader needs and expectations
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Required experience includes journalism degree and 2+ years reporting for a print or online newsroom, as well as expertise with CMS workflow, digital storytelling tools and the FOIA process.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: High stress, high energy environment with deadline pressures. Some travel may be required on rare occasions.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.