Are you aggressive at working social media and digging out news tips that lead to big stories, then breaking that news online yourself?
Are you detail-oriented, organized, a great communicator, and someone who thrives at staying cool and calm during breaking news and severe weather?
Are you looking for a rare opportunity to work in a growing digital department and help operate the assignment desk in an exciting place to live and work such as Denver, Colorado?
KDVR/KWGN is looking for a dynamic journalist who thrives on breaking news, enterprise stories, and aggressive coverage to join our team as a hybrid digital/assignment editor.
The ideal candidate understands how to cover spot news with urgency and attention to detail, and has a good understanding of cross-platform, multi-media coverage. Must have excellent news judgment and instincts, with the ability to find stories that will help make our newscasts unique and distinctive.
You should be a highly motivated, very organized, multi-tasker. You should be a good communicator with people in the newsroom and crews in the field. You should be a natural leader who can instantly take charge during breaking news.
The successful candidate must also be able to write and post stories to the station website and social media channels. You must be able to learn to push breaking news alerts on the station app and livestream news coverage online.
• Multi-task successfully, especially during breaking news
• Monitor social media and find news
• Post news to social media, write stories for digital, and learn to livestream and send push alerts
• Create relationships with sources, and PIOs and help break news in our community.
• Dispatch crews with urgency to cover news
• Keep the day's assignments organized using newsroom software
• Communicate with filed crews, producers, digital, and managers about changes in newsgathering and assignments
• Build strong relationships with assignment editors at other Nexstar stations.
WHAT YOU NEED:
• Prior assignment desk and/or newsroom experience helpful, and not required
• A calm, cool demeanor especially in stressful situations.
• Strong editorial judgment
• A passion for tracking and winning breaking news.
• Thorough understanding of social media content creation, as well as publishing articles and videos for digital
• Familiarity with Daybook, iNEWS, Wordpress, photo editors, and HTML also helpful; and can be easily learned
• The ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
• Pay: $50k
• Comprehensive benefits package including group health & dental, paid time off, 401(k) and more.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dy7q90-3-236-170-171-42 in your application.