Be part of a top-rated newsroom that values your ideas and encourages creative, compelling storytelling, while living and working in the Texas capital. KXAN in Austin is looking for a Digital Executive Producer (DEP) to oversee on KXAN's digital platforms the editorial decisions, execution and quality control of daily news. Will be responsible for executing daily strategy to differentiate KXAN's content with an i n-depth, investigative brand. The DEP helps manage digital content contributed by broadcast producers, reporters and photographers. Attention to detail, task delegation and urgency are paramount.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce and manage quality news content on all digital platforms, including weather and sports
• Assign tasks and deadlines to digital content producers and other newsroom staff as necessary (e.g., breaking news), ensuring production deadlines are met
• Take charge of daily news and live stream planning and execution, including breaking news
• Use analytics to inform content choices and make adjustments to maximize consumption of content
• Share and distribute relevant and high-performing content to sister stations
• Hold reporters accountable for daily posting routines in the field
• Provide employee feedback on a continuous and regular basis (positive & constructive)
• Ensure content reflects brand across desktop and mobile
• Work in tandem with other News Directors & Managers
• Execute breaking news on all platforms including: kxan.com, apps, social media, email alerts
• Develop and maintain new sections of the website as news coverage dictates
• Plan for the long-term growth of the sites, set priorities and plan coverage for major events
• Generate and help manage station and staff social media content, engagement and user comments
• Adhere to all guidelines, policies and procedures of station, Company, the FCC, and all other federal, state and local laws; ensuring content complies with legal requirements concerning libel, slander and First Amendment laws
• Strategic thinker, innovative, digital user-focused, creative
• Well organized and long-term planner
• Proactive with strong leadership, motivational & career development skills
• Assist with special coverage planning & execution
• Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills, and editorial judgment
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or equivalent experience; plus 4 years' experience in reporting/producer digital news, content management systems, and editing video and images. Must have working knowledge of web standards and protocols.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements:
High stress environment with deadline pressures. Must be available to work irregular/odd hours, weekends and holidays, and be on call to cover major events 24 hours a day.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm52xx-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.