Morning Show Live Reporter / MMJ
Are you an experienced journalist hungry for an opportunity to get creative and produce and anchor breaking news, digital programs, and live streams on a variety of digital platforms in one of the nation's fastest growing cities?
Do you have a knack for producing some of the most engaging digital content in your market and think you could bring it to Denver and deliver informative broadcasts that could benefit viewers across the state?
Do you love breaking news, urgency, inconvenient and severe weather, and are you prepared to keep Coloradans up to date by reporting the latest news as it happens?
KDVR FOX31 in Denver and KWGN/Colorado's Own Channel 2 have an immediate opening for an experienced digital anchor/producer.
We're seeking a digital-savvy storyteller who wants to produce and anchor great content. We want someone who works well independently, has good critical thinking skills, and who isn't content to sit and wait for a public information officer to call you back.
You'll do it all here. Report, produce, write, edit, and anchor your own streaming newscasts. You'll have access to a large reporting staff to help provide impactful content. And all the resources that our station has – including a helicopter, several drones, the Pinpoint Weather Beast, and several live cameras spread throughout the state to help!
We want someone with strong anchoring and reporting skills, who can tell stories in a clear and compelling way. A strong ability to ad-lib a must – as you will be reporting on a LOT of local and national breaking news and severe weather in this job – about 99% of the time without help from a prompter!
We're looking for someone who is proficient at and has a true passion for digital reporting across all station platforms.
• Proficient in OBS Studio and/or comparable live streaming platforms
• Experience with photo editors (such as Photoshop), non-linear video editors (such as Premiere)
• Thorough understanding of social media content creation, as well as publishing articles and videos for digital
• Multiple years of news experience both in front of the camera and behind would be preferred
• Knowledge of Wordpress, HTML is a plus
• Outstanding news judgement, with an ability to adapt to rapidly developing situations in breaking news environments
• Reports news stories for digital, describing the background and details of events, often without a script
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following a prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
• Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Pitches stories to news managers and producers which are relevant to the local community
• Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
• Produces and presents reports for all platforms
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes stories for the web and other digital platform
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
Requirements and Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Fluency in English
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Minimum four years' experience in news reporting; anchoring experience preferred
• Superior on-air presence
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
• Knowledge of SEO best practices is a plus
• Proficient in creating content for - and managing - social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
• Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
• The Digital Anchor/Producer must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct fact-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Digital Anchor/Producer must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions. All employees must first contact their current manager before applying for an Internal position.
Examples of your work we want to see:
• Reel with anchoring; especially breaking news
• Original video content produced for digital and social
• Multiple web articles
• Links to your station-branded social media pages
Compensation and benefits:
• Salary Range: $70k-$80k
• Paid time off, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401k, disability insurance, and life insurance.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.