WGN America has an immediate opening for a Political Producer. The position is based in Washington, D.C. for the new, primetime national newscast, ''News Nation''.
The ideal candidate is a strong producer who is passionate about politics, knows how to create a memorable story, and has strong editorial judgment to present a fair story that is down the center. Candidates must be able to make politics interesting and easy to understand for all viewers.
The right candidate will have a track record of being creative, aggressive, making decisions and communicating the plan in a clear, concise manner.
• Working closely with the political reporter and executive producer in pitching, researching, planning, and writing political news.
• Generating compelling and creative political segment ideas on a daily basis.
• Selecting key video, soundbites, quotes, and other information to be used as production elements.
• Fact-checking and script editing to remove opinion or unconscious bias.
• Producing digital & social media projects as needed.
• An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components
• Creative presentation style, and ability to showcase all resources and elements
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
• Ability to remain calm under pressure
• Excellent writing, spelling, grammar and copy-editing skills
• Extensive knowledge of politics and current events required
• 5+ years producing experience; College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field preferred
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.