News Writer, Per Diem
WGN-TV is looking for a Data & Investigative Producer to support our expanded digital initiatives, by identifying, researching, and investigating stories to craft new ways of storytelling through the help of analysis and visualizations.
• Collects, analyzes and presents facts through excellent research and interview skills with a solid knowledge of legal matters
• Produces and curates investigative content specifically for our digital platforms, which might later be expanded for broadcast by a reporter
• Shoots and edits content that appears only on digital platforms
• Digs deeper into stories through public records and FOIAs
• Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
• Field produces interviews and other shoots while working with a staff photographer
• Pitches stories to digital managers and digital producers which are relevant to the local community
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Prior Investigative experience is a must
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, or related field
• Must have strong database management, data interpretation, and presentation skills
• Excellent communication skills both oral and written
• Superior multi-tasker with an understanding of how news is consumed in the digital environment
• Digitally proficient and self-educating on new applications and tech
• Strong grammatical skills with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit
• Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize assignments
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r74ow8-18-234-244-170-42 in your application.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.