WDKY in Lexington, Kentucky is growing and looking for a Full Time Assistant News Director. How often do you get the chance to build a local TV newsroom? We're creating a special team in one of US News and World Report's Best Places to Live. You will manage day-to-day operations, with an emphasis on our morning newscast. We want to find someone who appreciates the role research plays in best serving our digital and TV viewers. We insist that you value relationships and be a strong, but empathetic, communicator.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Work closely with reporters, producers, photojournalists, digital producers, assignment editors and anchors on daily news coverage
• Lead team to produce engaging, research-driven four-hour morning newscast.
• Review daily newscasts to ensure quality control
• Run editorial meetings
• Help monitor digital/assignment desk.
• Write and edit scripts for on air and digital
• Help develop coverage plans for breaking news and special events
• Oversee Newsroom Schedule
• Assist in employee training, feedback, and evaluations
• Help in recruiting and hiring news department personnel
• Collaborate with News Director to establish goals and develop a strategic plan for the newsroom
• Work irregular/odd hours and available to work weekends and holidays
• Available to be on call to cover major events 24 hours a day - responding to breaking news during off-hours
• Additional responsibilities as assigned by the News Director.
Requirements & Skills:
• Passion for local news
• Knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel, and privacy laws
• Innovative, user-focused, and full of creativity and initiative
• Strong editorial judgment
• Great people skills
• At least three-years of experience
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Assistant News Director must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment or items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roee73-3-229-142-104-42 in your application.