Johnson City, TN
Dominant CBS/ABC combo serving the Tri-Cities, Tennessee and Virginia communities. We are in central proximity to major metropolitan areas, including Knoxville, Charlotte and Richmond. Our amazing work and play community is rich in history and home to the Birthplace of Country Music, Bristol Motor Speedway, and World Class Hiking and Fishing.
We are seeking a SUPERSTAR Assistant News Director.
Join our family that is committed to being part of the fabric of our communities for more than 65 years that has made us a LEADER in delivering local content to our viewers.
To learn more about our beautiful area click here- Visit Tri-Cities
WJHL is looking for an Assistant News Director with strong leadership skills and news judgement to manage our day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate must have a passion for news and be a strong communicator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work closely with reporters, producers, photojournalists, digital producers, assignment editors and anchors on daily news coverage
• Review daily newscasts to ensure quality control
• Run editorial meetings
• Write and edit scripts for on air and digital
• Develop coverage plans for breaking news and special events
• Oversee Newsroom Schedule
• Assist in employee training, feedback, and evaluations
• Help in recruiting and hiring news department personnel
• Collaborate With News Director to establish goals and develop a strategic plan for the newsroom
• Work irregular/odd hours and available to work weekends and holidays
• Available to be on call to cover major events 24 hours a day - responding to breaking news during off-hours
• Additional responsibilities as assigned by News Director
• Passion for local news
• Knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel and privacy laws
• Innovative, user-focused, and full of creativity and initiative
• Strong editorial judgment
• Great people skills
• At least three-years of experience
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• All employees must first contact their current manager before applying for an Internal position.
Nexstar Media Group is America’s largest local television and media company with 196 full power stations (including partner stations) in 114 markets addressing nearly 63% of US television households and a growing digital media operation.