The Assistant News Director assists the News Director with all aspects of news, weather and sports programming production, and serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
• Assists the News Director with management of all aspects of the News Department (other than Production.)
• Assists with planning, staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Consults on decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Serves as the News Director in his/her absence.
• Oversees daily scheduling for News staff including weekly time sheets and paid time off (other than Production)
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Ability to multi-task, detail oriented approach to assignments.
• Minimum two years' experience in news programming production, with some leadership experience preferred. (Depending on market size.)
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with social media, TV news operations and control room, and other technology pertinent to the success of the news team.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0w10e-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.