DEPARTMENT: Communications & Media Relations
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Communications and Media Relations
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Built upon our storied legacy, the New York Yankees look to attract the best possible talent not just on the field but in the front office as well. It is our shared responsibility to maintain the first-class reputation associated with the franchise in all aspects of our business.
The Assistant, Communications and Media Relations will assist the Media Relations department with all written communications, including pregame notes, press releases, postgame notes and preseason and postseason media guides. This position will also assist with development and execution of communications strategies as it relates to the New York Yankees organization, team and management.
• Produce and edit daily game notes and assist with research and gathering of statistical information
• Write, edit and disseminate press releases encompassing baseball transactions, organizational events and community activities
• Produce and/or edit daily postgame notes, scorecard, roster and other press box materials for each home game
• Assist in writing, editing and production of the preseason and postseason media information guides
• Assist with facilitating media interviews with players, coaches and front office staff
• Aid departmental interns with daily game day tasks, included but not limited to, making copies, delivering materials to executives and handling microphones in press conferences
• Assist media relations department with the execution of the New York Yankees PR social media accounts, including Twitter and other social platforms
• Handle and respond to phone calls from fans/media/alumni
• Handle general office duties including birthday reminders, press release reminders, and miscellaneous tasks meant to aid departmental fluidity
• Assist in all facets of HOPE Week (writing, editing and drafting press releases; honoree selection, planning of events, work with players and field staff, coordination of media RSVPs, organization of gift bags)
• Participation in media relations aspects of selected non-baseball events, including but not limited to college football (including the Pinstripe Bowl), soccer, hockey and concerts
• Responsible for media monitoring; experience with Critical Mention is a plus
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree required
• Prior demonstrated experience producing in-depth sports-information material (i.e. game notes, media guides, etc.) with a team in MLB, Minor League Baseball, the NFL, NBA, NHL or with a major college SID office is required. Minimum of two years prior experience strongly preferred
• Expert proficiency in InDesign, Excel and Word. Proficiency with Photoshop and Illustrator a plus
• Extensive knowledge of social media communication fundamentals
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and communicate ideas in a dynamic organization
• Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with the willingness to work long, non-traditional hours on a regular basis, including weekend games and events
• Ability to think strategically while prioritizing to meet deadlines
• Explicit attention to detail; creativity and resourcefulness
• Extensive knowledge on the sport of baseball, including terminology and rules. Knowledge of Yankees history a plus
• Proficiency using Baseball-Reference.com and STATSPASS strongly preferred. Proficiency MLB Portal a plus
• Other languages (especially Spanish) a plus
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required of the employee. The New York Yankees are an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Company is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
The New York Yankees require a Covid-19 vaccination and booster as a condition of employment, subject to exception under applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwyq3j-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.