The Unity Gameplay Engineering Lead will lead the project engineering team through the design, implementation, delivery, and maintenance of high-quality technical solutions. You will collaborate across disciplines to determine and prioritize the needs of the product from both strategic and tactical perspectives. You will act as both a manager and a mentor, fostering a team culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and empowerment. You will strive to develop processes and solutions that help to support a sustainable work life for your team
• Lead a team of engineers and partner with stakeholders to establish clear priorities and define expectations that translate to a scope of work in which the team can effectively deliver
• Work closely with the team to plan, architect, and build large-scale game features
• Collaborate with architects, other teams, product owners, and software engineers to help design the technical roadmap, and enable your team to execute on it
• Identify and resolve complex issues in a live game environment
• Partner with other Leads to identify opportunities to maximize player experience and performance
• Partner with Director to establish metrics and KPIs for the team, guide team to achieving goals within project constraints
• Coach team members to their optimum performance levels, and ensure the team receives regular reviews and one-on-one meetings.
• Supervise, train, mentor, and motivate your team in a way that encourages autonomy, mastery, and purpose
• Demonstrate expertise as necessary, and ownership over all aspects of game code.
• Maintain current and working knowledge on industry technical developments, make recommendations as appropriate
• As necessary contribute code to the project for items such as advanced features, tools, utilities, etc.
• Partner with Director of Development to drive coding standards, development processes, and best practices for the department and project team
• Anticipate, identify, and present problem areas and develop preventative solutions
• Implement ongoing review processes to monitor the health of the product, particularly in the areas of stability, performance, and security
• Exemplify reliability, accountability, and professionalism in all work-related interaction
• Lead by example, creating a strong sense of purpose and community, promoting a culture of excellence and inclusivity, encouraging a sustainable work/life balance
Skills and Abilities
• Expert programming and architectural skills across multiple development environments
• Ability to coordinate effectively and build partnerships within the engineering team and other development verticals. Ability to manage up, down, and across.
• Excellent written and verbal communication. Comfortable interacting and presenting to all levels of the company, key stakeholders, and publishers.
• Excellent attention to detail and strong desire to iterate and improve on processes
• Demonstrate fundamentals of leadership, including clear and proactive communication, meeting moderation, and oversight of large cross-disciplinary initiatives
• Ability to manage multiple, competing tasks and be self-directed to meet deadlines in a quickly evolving environment with little to no supervision
• Positive attitude and ability to receive and provide objective and constructive feedback
• Ability to coach, manage, mitigate, and prioritize through stressful situations for you and your team
• Thorough understanding of project management and the art of making technical decisions
Education and Experience
• Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related degree, or equivalent work experience
• At least 7 years of experience delivering production-level code in a professional environment
• Must have a deep understanding of game code design, development processes, and industry trends
• Experience shipping multiple successful game products into the marketplace
• iOS or Android mobile development experience within the Unity environment
• Experience supporting a live operations service
• In-depth understanding of gaming industry software trends
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
• Our core hours are 10am to 6:00pm cst, which means you should be available for meetings etc. during this time
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8069m-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.