Post Production Manager - Original Independent Film
Los Angeles, CA
As Netflix continues to produce amazing content all over the world at unprecedented levels of volume, we are also focused on creating the best services, facilities and experiences for our filmmakers and creative executives. In line with that focus and the sheer volume of our Slate, the Studio is building out in-house post production facilities and services for the exclusive use of our Productions, to work alongside our vendors, providing bleeding edge technology, workflows and service to our filmmakers. Our Post Production Facilities and Screenings Operations team is charged with the strategy, design, implementation, and operational management of our post production facilities, services and workflows, that Netflix will manage directly or partner with a vendor to oversee.
You will define the requirements for the technical build out and support structure for our facilities and specialist rooms, creating a focused and consistent model across the different and multiple services areas and global locations. You will build out a team of highly skilled and communicative engineers to provide expertise and support to our filmmakers and creative artists alike. The scope is broad and covers all areas of the post production pipeline, from dailies through editorial to picture and sound mastering and dialogue recording, encompassing the systems, imaging, storage and network expertise essential to creating optimum and efficient workflows. Your experience and skill set will match the scope, as will your excitement, dedication and determination to succeed.
This role will demand forming strong working partnerships with our other key engineering teams across the Studio and Product organizations to ensure optimum support to our filmmakers working in the facilities, as well as the development and evolution of our internal tools, platforms and technology initiatives. The candidate will have experience of collaborating closely with software developers and manufacturers, providing feedback and knowledge of real world Production challenges. They will have a deep understanding of the language and culture of product development, with the ability to provide context and perspective in a Research and Development capacity.
A successful candidate will have a comprehensive knowledge of post production technology and operations, key entertainment industry workflows, and the drivers, trends and technologies that are driving industry transformation. In addition, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of engaging with post production executives and creatives, as well as leading, socializing and implementing next generation industry workflows.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Responsible for the smooth running of the technical infrastructure and operation on premises at each facility / space. Tier 1 on site support to our specialist rooms and services to ensure operational functionality and best practices - off line editorial, dialogue Recording, screening, dailies, picture and audio mastering.
• Define, refine and evolve the engineering and technology support structure, both for on premise and off premise requirements, with our specialist engineering teams in Studio and Product
• Provide real world perspective, setting the context, parameters and business requirements for our partners in the Studio and Product Teams to provide Tier 2 & 3 level of support.
• Partner with other engineering stakeholder teams to develop and evolve tools, platforms and workflows that meet the challenges and demands of the business in future state
• Provide workflow expertise, knowledge and guidance to our filmmakers, content partners and creative artists using our specialist rooms.
• Ensure the network is optimised to business requirements at all times, partnering closely with our Tier 2 internal engineering teams to tightly define and refine responsibilities and SLAs to ensure smooth operational running.
• Provide on site preventative maintenance and calibration to technical infrastructure to ensure optimum performance
• 15+ years of experience in facility engineering and/or technology roles within post production, studio or network.
• Deep knowledge and experience of content creation and post production workflows encompassing NLE, Dailies, Dialogue Recording, Color Science, Picture and Audio mastering.
• Strong relationships and hands on knowledge of key Industry Manufacturers, their tools and software, such as Avid, Adobe Premier, Black Magic Resolve, Baselight, ProTools and Colorfront.
• Experience with and ability to respectfully, but authoritatively, engage with creative executives and content creators
• Ability to manage and operate in ambiguous situations and think on your feet to solve challenges and problems
• Strong communication skills with proven ability to socialize, explain and ''sell'' new and complex technology, tools and workflows
• Proven track record of innovation, initiative, ideation and implementation
• Proven abilities to embrace, drive and enable change management
• Experience with instituting quality management frameworks and process improvement
• Experience working with diverse teams across multiple functions, skills and locations
• Strong organizational skills with proactive mentality, positive orientation and outlook
• Ability to respond after hours for important, timely, or urgent matters
• Team-player who thrives in a fast paced, team-oriented setting
• Ability to handle a heavy volume of work, supervising several projects in various points of production (from development through delivery).
• Passionate about our culture and values in the workplace