Netflix seeks a seasoned Music Business and Legal Affairs Operations Manager to join the Music Group based in Los Angeles.
The Music Business and Legal Affairs team has four distinct verticals: Studio; Distribution (Collective Management Organizations); Marketing; and Data, Technology & Rights Management. The first three verticals encompass the global production of Netflix Originals (commissioning composers and engaging other music talent and services, negotiating licenses with production music libraries, music publishers and record labels), support Marketing and PR campaigns, and the distribution of Netflix content to customers all over the world (negotiating and managing licenses with collective management organizations). This role is part of the fourth vertical, Data, Technology & Rights Management, which is integral in supporting the Music Group's initiatives and strategies. It includes: cue sheet management and contract administration systems; all Collective Management Organization (CMO) and other music related reporting; financial and other performance metrics; publishing catalogue administration and royalty payments; systems design; workflow optimization; music licensing analysis, asset management, soundtrack administration, and much more.
The successful candidate will be a hub between various functions comprising the broader Music Group. They will have a direct influence on how music at Netflix operates. This role will be one of the focal points between the various functions comprising the broader Music Group with a focus on operations within Marketing Music as well as third party application solutions.
The Music Business & Legal Operations Manager's responsibility is to identify the needs of the group, plot the solutions, implement recommendations and ensure adoption across the entire Music Group. They will work closely with the Music Group to gain an in-depth understanding of the business workflows to identify and address operational, financial and technological opportunities/risks. They will join a diverse team of industry experts and will be expected to have a deep curiosity for the ins and outs of the music copyright ecosystem. The ideal candidate is someone who is looking to thrive in an environment where freedom and responsibility allows them to make an impact.
Reporting to the Director of Music Data, Tech & Rights, the Manager, Music Business & Legal Affairs Operations will be based in Los Angeles and will be responsible for:
• Forming important operational and planning connections across the distinct Music teams at Netflix, specifically the Marketing Music team.
• Analyzing existing business and data processes and establishing new ones – you will design workflows, recommend innovative process improvements and seek automation opportunities.
• Building and maintaining knowledge of critical upstream/downstream systems and workflows.
• Maintaining and update existing near-term solutions until features are incorporated into enterprise applications
• Creating best practices & resource guides and ensuring quality of data through 3rd party tool adoptions.
• Acting as the Music Teams subject-matter-expert for any Airtable related issues. Safeguard the accuracy and completeness of data and content held in the platform
• Steering new applications and enhancements to existing applications that could increase the productivity of the team.
• Evaluating, testing, implementing and supporting technology and data solutions.
• Advocating for and prioritizing the music teams requirements and identifying specific issues within wider projects.
• Working in collaborative partnership with teams such as Legal, Finance, Creative, Marketing, Production, Product and Engineering.
• Working with the Product and Engineering teams to derive business requirements as they relate to product functionality within the Music group.
• Collaborating in the overall strategic direction of the music technology roadmap as part of the larger legal operations and technology strategy.
The successful candidate will have:
• Hands on experience in the areas of operations, tech operations, solutions management, or tech program management. Technology or entertainment company experience preferred.
• Hands on experience of project management and working with engineering teams and managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
• Proven track record of breaking down complex processes and identifying key pain points in order to deliver business improvements at a global level.
• Ability to work effectively cross-functionally, think proactively, and drive results.
• Experience working with internal and external department technology solutions.
• Excellent analytical, problem-solving, oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well under pressure with diligence, organization, and minimal supervision.
• Flexibility amid an ever-changing and growing environment.
• Knowledge of Airtable & Zapier solutions
• Knowledge of project management tools and principles
• Nice to have: Experience manipulating and analyzing complex data with SQL, Excel, and Google Sheets.
• Plus but not required: Experience in Python and/or R.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0y608-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.