Los Angeles, CA
Our growing global Music Business & Legal Affairs (BLA) Group is looking for a new member to join the team: an Analyst who shares our passion for music and the entertainment industry to help support our expanding slate of Netflix content. Someone who seeks out and thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates (Netflix culture). A stunning and selfless colleague for whom no task is too small or insurmountable.
The Music BLA Group is an international group with members in offices around the world and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business affairs, legal affairs and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally. This role is based in our Los Angeles office and will report to a Director, Music.
This unique and exciting role sits on the studio side of the Music BLA Group and will provide vital music business, legal and strategy support for the production and licensing of Netflix series, documentaries and films. The role will have broad responsibility and unique insight into multiple aspects of our business and the opportunity to work with a wide swath of internal and external partners.
We are seeking a detail-oriented, passionate, and resourceful expert to join our team as a Music BLA Analyst. Responsibilities include identifying, analyzing and tracking deal terms and rights derived from music talent agreements, including composer, songwriter, recording artist and record producer agreements, and organizing and ingesting the data into our systems and tools. This role will play a crucial part in the development of strategic roadmaps for data and contracts workflow and rights data ingestion. This person will also be a key contributor in soundtrack-related workflows, including working with internal and external partners on things like compiling artwork and credits, coordinating talent and studio approvals, and summarizing royalty and other reporting obligations. They will also track and help apply updates to a variety of music forms across multiple production verticals and will themself draft and negotiate basic agreements like certificates of engagement. They will also work in collaboration with our contract administration team on the execution and distribution of music talent agreements.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
The ideal candidate will have: 3+ years of experience in series or film production business and/or legal affairs, including hands-on experience in the administration of contracts, preferably music-related contracts (eg, composer, recording artist, music producer, songwriter and soundtrack album agreements), including expertise in identifying and analyzing commercial deal terms, rights and restrictions; familiarity with the series/film production and deal making process - from the initial engagement of talent through completion of services and execution of formal documentation; and practical knowledge of the music and technology industries. In-house music experience in a TV or film production company and/or network or studio is preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Exceptional contract analysis and project management skills.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and an unwavering attention to detail.
• Tech-savvy, with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.
• Strong analytical capabilities and judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
• Clear, concise and effective communication skills.
• Excellent judgment, confidence, and a sense of humor.
• Highly-collaborative, with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
• Resourcefulness and ability to pivot quickly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects as needed, including matters outside of your area of expertise.
• An eagerness to give and receive constructive feedback.
• Demonstrated curiosity about how different backgrounds and cultures affect us at work, and a commitment to acknowledge and work past implicit biases.