Assignment Editor & Web Editor
NBC Connecticut seeks a Vice President of News to lead and establish the strategic mission and tactical operations of Connecticut's multi-platform news operation for the NBC Owned Television Station duopoly in Hartford/New Haven. The successful candidate will have experience as a newsroom leader with a proven history of investigative & political excellence, multi-platform expertise including digital and OTT aptitude, and success growing the highest levels of journalistic integrity of a news team. This top leadership role ensures overall execution of our news mission.
• Create expectations for all aspects of the on-air presentation for all news shows - regarding content, style and live execution.
• Work closely with the Digital team leader to develop a consistent and complementary news product on all platforms.
• Align with Creative Services team to ensure production, promotion and branding strategies are met.
• Create coverage guidelines for breaking news and weather, investigative and day-to-day coverage with an eye towards audience development.
• Develop the mission for each show and make sure the daily goals and missions are executed. Ensure editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and met.
• Recruit and develop high-performing news management team. Make hiring decisions and negotiate contracts. Establish performance goals and guidelines.
Oversee the evaluation and performance management process within the news department. Motivate and develop staff with a wide range of skills and expertise.
• Liaison with Telemundo New England news leadership.
• Execute research based strategic plans on overall news brand and specific newscasts.
• Partner with Finance on budget preparation and resource alignment.
• Integrate overall station goals in news programming.
- Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 7 years' management experience in television news.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
• Must be willing to work at the station in West Hartford, CT.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Knowledge of budgets, staffing/scheduling, broadcast legal experience and journalistic, program and production skills are essential
• Strong platform skills with the ability to present in front of large audiences
• Experience coaching, training and performance counseling skills
• Proficient in delegating, assigning, setting objectives, providing helpful feedback and taking corrective action, if necessary
• Ability to stay organized while managing multiple tasks in a fast-paced demanding environment.
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Must have deep understanding of local news strategy and promotion.
• Knowledge of New England broadcast markets a plus.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) both written and verbal a plus.