Associate Principal Counsel - Streaming Services
New York, NY
The Vice President, News Group, will serve as a media lawyer to the NBCUniversal News Group properties, primarily on issues of newsgathering, broadcast and publication, and intellectual property. The position is based in New York and reports to the General Counsel of NBCUniversal News Group.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Advise News Group journalists working across a broad range of platforms, including linear television, streaming, digital, social, and podcasts, in support of a broad range of news content, including daily news programming and digital reporting, specials, investigative and breaking news, commentary, documentaries, entertainment and lifestyle, and unscripted programming.
• Conduct pre-broadcast and pre-publication review.
• Advise on newsgathering and access issues.
• Counsel on copyright and other intellectual property matters; negotiate and settle pre-litigation copyright claims.
• Respond to pre- and post-publication threats and challenges.
• Respond to subpoenas and other third-party requests for information.
• Draft and deliver newsroom legal training and guidelines.
• Provide production legal support, including drafting releases and location agreements.
• Advise on legal and regulatory issues related to, among other topics, sponsored editorial content, issue and political advertising, and elections.
• Review promotional and marketing materials.
• Partner with NBC News Group Standards on upholding News Group policies that protect our integrity, accuracy and independence.
• Monitor domestic and international legal developments affecting the press, freedom of speech, and publication.
• Partner with specialist lawyers across NBCUniversal's Legal Department, including on News Group-related litigation.
• Mentor and support lawyers within the News Group; contribute to an inclusive, collaborative team culture; demonstrate leadership; and take initiative to deliver value and support the production and distribution of the highest quality news content in the industry.
• Minimum of 12 years of legal experience advising news clients on content and intellectual property issues.
• Demonstrated ability to counsel journalists in a fast-paced environment, partner with journalists to deliver compelling, diverse and visually-engaging stories and give clear, succinct, and practical legal advice that enables broadcast or publication.
• Management experience.
• Law degree from an ABA-accredited law school. Member in good standing of the State Bar of New York or another State Bar and registered as in-house counsel.
• Decisive practitioner; skilled at explaining complex legal issues in a straightforward manner.
• Strong knowledge of media law and ethics.
• Demonstrated passion for news and press freedom.
• High level of integrity and professionalism.
• Superior writing, critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills.