NBCUniversal is looking for a Senior Desk Editor who is exceptionally talented and an experienced journalist for a full-time permanent position, working as part of a team in London. This is a varied role and will rotate through the international newsgathering operation.
The successful candidate is creative, curious, efficient, a proactive problem-solver and a team leader. An effective communicator, they thrive under the pressure of breaking news, and can confirm and deliver stories to all platforms rapidly without sacrificing journalistic integrity.
Candidates must understand the power of visual storytelling both on air and online and the importance of social media as an integral part of newsgathering and reporting. They will mobilize teams for a competitive live news program and provide comprehensive coverage of world events that define the network's editorial brand by making full use of newsroom and field resources.
Main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead the international Newsdesk and the day-to-day newsgathering operation
• Coordinate across all platforms on editorial agenda to maximize efficient use of newsgathering resources
• Generate accurate daily notes with correspondents, original offers, live events and news to monitor
• Organize, coordinate and help to oversee deployments, ensuring reporting teams are in the right place as news develops
• Respond to breaking news by deploying teams at short notice, ensuring the assignment desk is arranging lives and booking guests
• Alert platforms and control rooms to get breaking news on the air immediately
• Collaborate with colleagues to ensure the best correspondents and content gets on air
• Verify stories by contacting local sources, government officials, companies or related individuals
• Update the network, executive producers and field teams with breaking news updates and compelling content
• Support correspondents and producers in the field with setting up on-the-day stories and coordinating on-the-day elements, including social media
• Manage assignment desk team on coordinating with control rooms and field teams on live shots and edits
• Pitch content with an understanding of the different NBC platform audiences
• Participate in daily conference calls
• Assist field teams with risk assessments and managers in ensuring safety protocols
• Work with NBC News partners and affiliates for requests for video, editorial information or assistance
• Experience working on the news desk of a leading international TV news organization
• Sound news judgment, thorough knowledge of and deep interest in world affairs and current events, geopolitics, foreign policy and history
• Strong leadership and organizational skills
• High level of ability to be detail oriented, to work under pressure and to meet multiple daily deadlines
• Excellent communication skills and professional conduct, especially in high-pressure and stressful situations
• Complete fluency with social media and its role in news broadcasting and multi-platform delivery
• Experience using video agencies as well as familiarity with video and photo licensing, legal principles and rights of usage, preferred
• Education to degree level or equivalent experience
• Fluency in English essential
• Must be willing to work in London, UK
• Must be able to work flexible hours, weekends, and holidays
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro6903-34-229-119-176-42 in your application.