This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
We're looking for an experienced reporter/editor to help grow MSNBC's dynamic opinion section. You will work closely with a senior editor and deputy editor as part of a team to write perspectives and news analysis that drives the conversation and attracts new audiences. You will have excellent judgment, a deep understanding of journalistic standards and a track record that proves you can hew to the standards of the NBCU News Group.
You will have superb writing skills, a keen understanding of the storylines that matter and a proven track record of success in a fast-tempo newsroom. You will report to an MSNBC digital deputy editor.
What you will do:
• Write and sometimes edit opinion journalism created for MSNBC digital
• Work closely with a senior editor, deputy editor and others across MNSBC to publish compelling, creative, unique perspectives and analysis, often on breaking news
• Strategize and contribute to the MSNBC Daily newsletter
• Liaise with NBC News & MSNBC art director, social, platforms and product teams
• Make full use of the range of NBCU News Group resources including newsgathering, multimedia and broadcast journalists
• Willingness to appear and discuss reported opinion pieces on MSNBC cable and other MSNBC platforms
• Establish and meet NBCU News Group's rigorous Standards and Legal guidelines
• Ensure the tone and mix of content is in line with MSNBC cable
• Read widely and stay abreast of the competition
• Bachelor's Degree
• 3 or more years writing in a newsroom environment, including experience with politics and breaking news
• 2 or more years working in a strictly digital shop
• Willingness to work early morning hours
• Must have demonstrated experience with writing and
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding,
• Must be professional, nimble and successful working
across newsroom teams, platforms and with partners
• Ideally some experience writing for newsletters
• Ideally based in New York City or Washington, DC
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d933e7-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.