Assistant News Director - NBC Connecticut
• Participate in daily planning meetings. Contribute ideas for news programming based on the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
• Work closely with program's Executive Producer to determine the composition and flow of the newscast, to select video, to write and copy-edit stories. Make certain program elements abide by NBC Owned Television Stations News Guidelines as well as the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
• Generate daily topicals and show graphics.
• Be present in control room during news program and communicate with producer, director and production personnel.
• Ensure video detail and news rundown is provided to editors. Make certain all video is previewed for accuracy.
• Use website and social media tools to monitor and report news, find sources and leads for stories.
• Monitor mainstream and social media sites for story ideas and competitive intelligence.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
• At least one year of related work experience including: Direct responsibility for producing a news program and preparing rundowns.
• Willingness to work overtime, and on weekends with short notice
• Ability to work any of a 24/7 shift, holidays, weekends and respond to breaking news events.
• Must be willing to work at the station in West Hartford, CT.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• Proficient in iNews.
• Four years of related work experience including: Direct responsibility for producing a news program and preparing rundowns.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise, research and plan stories.
• Strong desire to deliver news as it develops on all current and future platforms
• A sense of urgency and desire to learn emerging technologies
• Strong journalistic skills
• Significant experience in the news environment
• Experience editing content on a desktop editing system
• Ability to write, edit and produce under heavy deadline pressure without compromising accuracy or credibility
• Ability to make priority decisions under deadline
• Understanding of Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with desire to learn emerging technologies and invent the future
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqoq2x-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.