• Provide strategic, logistical planning, and insight to upcoming events, special programs and/or elements to be included in news coverage.
• Lead, develop, and coordinate electronic and digital news gathering operations: video gathering, editing, remote broadcasts, microwave, SNG trucks and field shop maintenance.
• Provide technical guidance, training, and leadership for editorial and newsgathering personnel, including photographers or others as assigned.
• Oversee operations at Philadelphia location and outlying news bureaus in Delaware (WDEl), Trenton, and Lehigh Valley.
• Ensure necessary equipment is in place and in working order to support assigned employees.
• Oversee staffing and supervisory duties, including hiring, performance management, scheduling, and evaluation of photographers and work group members in accordance with NBC10 policies.
• Mentor and develop news employees' technology skills, especially in the use of digital and wireless tools.
• Plan and manage the TV News operating and capital budgets. Plan, supervise, and track operational expenditures.
• Budget, plan, and manage large remote broadcasts including breaking news and special events.
• Responsible for maintaining station disaster recovery procedures for News team.
• Engineering, other Department Heads and employees.
• Contribute to the direction of WCAU-TV News operations through regular and clear communications with VP News & VP
• Minimum 3 years direct operations management experience in a local television or network environment
• Minimum 10 years' experience in newsgathering and/or production
• Experience supervising, training, coaching and motivating a team
• Must be willing to work in the Philadelphia area and travel as needed for special assignments
• Must be willing to work long hours, varying shifts and report to work in emergencies depending upon news coverage when necessary.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
Additional Job Requirements:
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Must be ''on call'' 24 hours a day/7 days a week
• Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
• Experience in a top 10 market newsroom
• Working knowledge of Delaware Valley (PA, NJ, DE) market
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field
• Previous experience with Collective Bargaining agreements
• Have strong news judgment with knowledge of legal and ethical issues in multi-media platforms
• High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms
• Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations
• Understanding and demonstration of creativity, editorial judgment, journalistic ethics
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans and presenting in front of large audiences
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news, environment
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• A pioneering spirit with desire to learn emerging technologies and invent the future
• Believes that teams are smarter and more dynamic together