Full Time Job
Executive Producer, Investigations & Special Projects
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
This position will handle the daily planning and demands of the NBC Connecticut Investigative and Specials unit that includes NBC Connecticut Responds. The job also manages special promotable content produced by other members of the newsroom. The role requires excellent news judgment, mastery of legal and editorial standards, the ability to juggle multiple projects, and to engage in long-term planning. It includes encouraging a seasoned team of reporters, producers, and photographers as well as developing innovative storytelling techniques for all platforms. Will also work with our promotions team. The successful candidate will also help plan coverage for major events. The NBC Connecticut Investigative team has received a number of rewards including a Columbia DuPont, and the successful candidate will be expected to continue that standard of journalistic excellence.
The job also includes projects that fall outside of day-of news including managing political debates, and producing special programming. The role requires excellent news judgment, mastery of legal and editorial standards, the ability to juggle multiple projects and to engage in long-term planning. The successful candidate will also help plan coverage for major events. The successful candidate collaborates well with others, and leads by example. This role will also take on significant responsibility for creating and advancing the OTT/streaming initiatives, and must have a digital-first attitude.
• Provide leadership in story selection and execution for the station's investigative unit, NBC Connecticut Investigates
• Provide oversight and leadership with the NBC Connecticut Responds unit, the department responsible for engaging with viewers to resolve consumer complaints.
• Coordinate the content, presentation of long-form series, the creation of content specifically for the OTT/streaming platforms and/or special projects pieces under the direction of the VP of News.
• Share responsibility for determining the composition and flow of all special projects packages, selecting video, writing and copy editing stories. Work closely with producers, anchors, reporters, editors and technical crews to make certain program elements abide by NBC News Standards as well as the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
• Anticipate special news events (and major stories) and create plan for coverage.
• Assist VP of News, Assistant News Director and Managing Editor in managing the day-to-day news operation. Participate in daily planning meetings. Contribute ideas for news programming based on the NBC Connecticut News Strategy.
• Establish and maintain a professional, trained and motivated staff though effective implementation of NBC's performance management process. Work with Assistant News Director to ensure training and coaching is provided for Producers. Facilitate the orientation of new employees. Implement NBC Connecticut news standards and ensure adhered to while producing news programs.
• Manage a large team of photographers, reporters and producers to create compelling content that differentiates NBC Connecticut from other local television stations in the market on all platforms.
• Bachelor's Degree
• At least 3 years of related work experience including direct responsibility for producing a television news program, or producing special enterprise reports in a television news environment
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays, and overnights.
• Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Must be willing to be on-call on occasional weekends to be responsive to any questions or concerns from employees working those shifts
• Must be willing to work at the station in West Hartford, CT
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• A background in investigative reporting or producing
• Exposure to and knowledge of investigative reporting techniques and skills
• Proficiency in iNews
• Experience in the digital space – creating content for digital platforms and experience using a content management platform (CMS)
• Proficient in Dalet
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Team player
• Ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems
• Experience delegating, assigning, setting objectives, providing positive feedback, and taking corrective action, if necessary
• Prior experience supervising producers, reporters, and other news personnel
• Demonstrates the ability to manage staff effectively while under extreme pressure and the ability to react quickly to breaking news situations
• Skilled in utilizing internal and external resources to accomplish goals
• Ability to quickly understand and size up opportunities and/or problems and respond with creative ideas and solutions
• Experience reviewing reporters' scripts
• Has the ability to conduct performance appraisals
• Skilled in delivering feedback in order to develop team
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently