NBC4 & T52 are looking for a dynamic leader who can effectively oversee evening coverage and editorial decisions for both the NBC and Telemundo owned stations in Los Angeles. This includes oversight of NBC4 News at 7pm, 11pm and T52 News at 11pm. The ideal candidate will also be responsible for assisting with newsroom operations and supervising editorial content for multi-platform delivery. The candidate must have a critical combination of both excellent news judgement and communication skills, focusing on optimizing duopoly collaboration.
This position would report directly to the VP of News for both NBC4 & T52.
• Responsible for all content and coverage decisions for NBC4 & T52 multiplatform
• Lead a team of newscast Producers, Content Producers, Reporters, Photographers and Assignment Editors to gather news across Southern California
• Strong editorial judgment as well the ability to respond and make decisions in a breaking news situation for cross-platform
• Works with all facets of the duopoly including production, IT, engineering and newsroom to ensure smooth and seamless show productions and the most accurate and compelling local coverage.
• Collaborates with newsroom leadership, other NBC Owned Television stations and NBC News for special events planning as well as day-to-day coverage
• Communicate with news management and assignment desk personnel to shape newscasts and determine the composition and flow of all assigned platforms
• Responsible for scheduling editorial staff (Platform Managers and Content Producers) to ensure proper coverage
• Participate in the performance appraisal process for assigned editorial staff in conjunction with the VP of News for NBC4 & T52
• Works with news leadership to ensure necessary training and coaching is provided for Platform Managers and Content Producers
• Participate in the NBC4 recruitment efforts and facilitate the newsroom orientation of new employees when needed
• Track market competitive trends, develop and implement show content and format changes, and articulate vision to employees
• Works with Creative Services to craft promotions that attract a wide audience
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field, or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 5 years experience working in news management or main show producing in a top 10 market.
• Minimum 10 years of newsroom newsgathering and/or production experience in top 20 market
• Minimum 10 years experience writing, producing and desktop editing
• Experience copyediting scripts
• Experience selecting, managing, developing and motivating a team of experienced editorial news professionals
• Proficiency in working with the latest newsroom technologies (both hardware and software)
• Ability to help set and communicate newsroom policies
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Solid news judgment, strong writing and research skills
• Proven strong journalistic leadership, with the ability to assign, direct and supervise broadcast and digital news coverage
• Demonstrated ability to lead a staff effectively, solve problems, prioritize decisions, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a fast paced, breaking news, environment
• Competitive success in delivering both ratings and rank success
• Experience in Los Angeles market and familiarity with Southern California audience and communities
• Bilingual in English or Spanish
• Ability to select, manage and develop strong editorial news professionals
• Basic understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics in all platforms, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Demonstrated ability to drive process improvements
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with a desire learn emerging technologies and invent the future
• Believes that teams are smarter and more dynamic together
Salary: $125,000 to $175,000 DOE
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn7y85-18-207-160-97-42 in your application.