Sr. Manager, Revenue and Technical Accounting
Universal City, CA
Director, Accounting and Reporting, will be responsible for key accounting and reporting requirements for the Filmed Entertainment Segment to NBCUniversal Corporate and external parties. The role is in a complex and fast-paced environment with opportunities for growth including being involved in the development and implementation of enterprise-wide functional transformation.
• Perform technical accounting research and create documentation and practices as required by new or changed transactions or the implementation of new accounting standards or accounting policies.
• Provide technical accounting guidance and value-add to Film business units to facilitate the creation of legal agreements for new deals and the implementation of key business strategies.
• Consult with New York and Philadelphia-based Corporate Technical Accounting teams to align on accounting for transactions and maintaining suitable accounting policies.
• Coordinate with the Film HQ or Film BU teams to ensure appropriate implementation of risk-considered processes and controls for transactions and new accounting standards and policies.
• Partner with Film FP&A to ensure appropriate forecasting and budgeting of new transactions and accounting standards.
• Responsible for key monthly and quarterly closing processes to ensure quality, accuracy and timeliness with a focus on the balance sheet and related analysis – essentially ensuring solid foundational processes, including:
• Review journal entries and supporting schedules for internal and external reporting
• Review of monthly and quarterly balance sheet variance analytic and review packages
• Balance sheet classification review
• Aggregation of supplemental schedules and reports from Film BUs
• Review of account reconciliations and monitoring of progress
• Work closely with FP&A and Corporate functions
• Assist in SAP Ledger Maintenance (cost center hierarchy, suspense clearing, etc)
• Work closely with the VP Assistant Controller and SVP Controller to ensure there are adequate levels of review and oversight over the domestic and international business units' accounting and reporting processes and controls.
• Lead and drive initiatives that identify process improvement opportunities and build efficiencies into existing reporting routines within Film.
• Advocate and collaborate on corporate initiatives (e.g., functional transformation as well as smaller projects such as Journal Entry Park and Post, Allocations) and process change across the business unit, including special projects.
Over time increase contact and seek and implement operational alignment opportunities with teams beyond Film, especially Universal Studios Group (USG – television)
• Serve as a business partner to lead and influence change
• Influence the development of a strong Enterprise-wise Controllership Culture. Develop a reputation as a cross-functional relationship builder – for yourself and others.
• Lead, coach, develop and maintain a strong accounting staff direct-reporting-line team of 2 - 3 that delivers quality accounting services as well as governance and controls. Influence beyond direct-line team by engaging across Controllership and FP&A teams – including USG – on a regular basis. Lead by example, including health and wellness areas such as working reasonable hours and taking vacation breaks, and engaging with and elevating Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion.
• Assist with ad-hoc projects as needed.
• Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting or related field.
• Minimum of 10+ years of accounting related experience. Combination of public accounting and entertainment industry preferred. Straight public candidates with significant experience working with entertainment industry and relevant technical accounting matters will be considered.
• CPA preferred
• Excel skills and working knowledge of Powerpoint
• Knowledge of Business Warehouse / SAP preferred
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to be considered
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Applicant should be a team player and be able to work with a variety of personalities.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to work with multiple business units/divisions.
• Resourceful issues resolution capabilities and be willing to be in the details, if necessary.
• Inquisitive and able to think through interdependencies of processes.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team in this fast-paced environment.
• Excellent Project Management skills, detail oriented, proactive approach to problem solving.
• Strong business acumen and analytical skills
• Ability to effectively manage competing priorities and deadlines
• Flexible and able to take on new challenges as they arise