Crime News and Features Editor
New York, NY
Responsibilities This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
We are looking for a full-time copy editor for NBCNews.com and MSNBC.com to uphold the quality and accuracy of our online news and opinion articles. The candidate should be an experienced copy editor from an established news operation – ideally a newspaper, magazine or website. The editor should be able to handle articles on tight deadlines, fixing errors of spelling, grammar and style; help reporters and story editors check facts and smooth potentially awkward language; and identify issues of structure, tone and logic. Experience in writing effective ledes, nut grafs and online headlines is strongly preferred, as is familiarity with the AP stylebook. There is a preferred candidate. This position will report to the senior copy editor for NBC News Digital.
• Copy edit stories on deadline for spelling, grammar and style, and help reporters and story editors check facts and streamline language
• Ensure that the tone of articles is in line with NBCNews.com and MSNBC.com editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News
• Ensure consistency in NBC News style, and help maintain style guidelines
• Assist editors and reporters in writing headlines, decks, captions, news breakers and all text with maps, graphics, etc
• Five years experience as a copy editor in a breaking news environment at a major newspaper, magazine or news website.
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evening and/or weekend hours, and be available for breaking news shifts.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding and competitive environment.
• Must have a working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools.
• Five to seven years working as an editor in a breaking news environment at a major newspaper, magazine or news website.
• Demonstrated experience in helping young writers and editors improve and tighten copy.