NBCUniversal seeks to add a highly motivated individual to our Advertising and Program Standards department. As an Associate Editor, you will work to ensure that programs and advertisements comply with internal and external standards, laws, and regulations while being cognizant of public policy and community acceptability considerations. You will be highly professional with a thoughtful, proactive nature, strong people skills, and the ability to solve problems creatively and collaboratively. As an Associate Editor, you will be expected to spot issues, think quickly, and make accurate decisions to maintain the integrity of NBCUniversal. This position is based in New York, New York or Los Angeles, California and reports into the Manager, Advertising and Program Standards in New York. As we are a bicoastal department, you will be expected to partner effectively with colleagues across the country.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Review advertisements for NBCUniversal's linear and digital (including streaming) properties from concept to final edit to ensure that they meet internal brand standards and regulatory requirements.
• Review and evaluate a wide range of marketing, scientific, and other data submitted in support of advertising claim substantiation.
• Review scripted and unscripted programs at all stages of production to ensure compliance with applicable guidelines, identify standards issues and business concerns, make sensitive contextual judgments, and assign TV Parental Guidelines ratings.
• Proactively monitor and analyze department systems and processes and develop and implement innovative ideas that improve the way we work.
• Provide clearly articulated verbal and written notes and, constructive, practical guidance to clients consistent with NBCUniversal's standards, and FTC, FCC, and FDA rules and regulations.
• Negotiate and collaborate with internal and external parties, including ad sales, programming executives, writers, producers, creative agencies, advertising agencies, and legal counsel.
• Operate delay mechanism for live programming as needed, including after regular working hours, during holidays and on weekends.
• BA/BS degree
• At least 1 (one) year of experience working in Standards and Practices (program and/or advertising) or a related field (e.g., Trust and Safety, Ad Sales, Traffic/Sales Operations, Production or Regulatory etc) within a major consumer entertainment company.
• A passion for television and the process associated with putting advertising and programming on air.
• Strong strategic thinking, problem solving, and analytic skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to easily adapt to changing priorities, while juggling multiple responsibilities.
• Self-starter who is able to work independently.
• Understanding of streaming platforms and digital content workflows. Prior experience with digital advertising review a strong plus.
• Passion for technological advancements, including a willingness and ability to engage with and learn unfamiliar digital tools, systems, and processes.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Effective team-player with good interpersonal skills.
• Excellent negotiation and time management skills, with superior attention to detail.
• Ability to make thoughtful, quick decisions in a high-pressure environment.
• Familiarity with PIX, MediaVu and/or MediaQurator, and other content review platforms a plus.