Weekend Editor, Digital
New York, NY
Oxygen, NBC's true crime network, is looking for a full-time digital editor to handle assigning, editing, and sometimes writing breaking crime news as well as lighthearted crime features - and things in between. We're looking for someone with keen news judgment who can write killer headlines, juggle several things at once, and suss out original stories while using analytics and an understanding of SEO to plan coverage. Experience covering or editing crime stories essential as is an understanding of the legal system.
Solid reporting, copy-editing, and fact-checking skills are crucial to this position. Experience and interest in true crime content is highly desired – as is having a grasp on how to navigate legal risks like defamation. Proficiency in web publishing skills (HMTL, CMS environments, Photoshop) is a must. Candidates must be metrics and performance-focused, organized, and detail-oriented under deadline pressure.
• Coordinate with the News and Features editor to determine daily coverage and long-lead content plans.
• Post content to social channels.
• Work with a roster of contract and freelance writers on daily news stories as well as longer-term features.
• Use metrics to determine story selection.
• Collaborate with social team to develop strategies for maximizing content performance.
• 5+ years of experience working for a media company or major website that generates original content, preferably covering breaking crime news.
• Knowledge of HTML and CMS environments.
• Ability to maintain a sense of humor.
• Sharp editorial judgment and skills (writing, copy editing, accuracy).
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to pay attention to detail.