NBC4 & T52 is looking for an Assistant News Director to lead the second largest duopoly newsroom in the country. The candidate will run day-to day editorial coverage for T52 and NBC4. The Assistant News Director must have strong news judgment and the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented news team. The job will require someone who is able to go beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of the duopoly objectives, policies, and procedures.
This position will report directly to the VP of News for T52 and NBC4.
• Manage day-to-day coverage, major events, and breaking news across all NBC4 broadcast and digital platforms
• Implement strategies and tactics to increase ratings and performance
• Oversees planning and execution of special projects coverage
• Provides leadership to news professionals, driving culture of creativity and excellence in a multi-platform environment
• Manage script approval process as delegated to individual managers
• Develop and coach a diverse staff of professionals
• Ensures daily goals are communicated to the entire staff
• Evaluates workflow efficiencies ensuring editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and distributed
• Implements and has working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting editorial operations
• Enforces newsroom's policies and procedures, including deadlines and style
• Back-up for VP of News for T52 and NBC4, as needed
• Willingness and ability to work long hours, late nights and weekends as required
• Must be willing to work at the station in Universal City, CA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Strong Organizational skills and experiences in a mid/large market newsroom
• Leads change in an inclusive manner
• Bilingual – Spanish/English
• Energetic and diligent in launching major campaigns
• Champions vibrant editorial processes and journalistic excellence
• Excellent people management, leadership and coaching skills
• Ability to multi-task in a dynamic, content driven, technology intensive environment
• Marketing Research skills
• High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms
• Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations
• Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win
Salary: $140,000 - $220,000 DOE
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York City, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk7wkk-18-207-160-97-42 in your application.