• Manage, coach and schedule Assignment Desk Personnel
• Establish and execute winning breaking news strategy
• Generate story ideas and assign stories
• Collaborate with news management and editorial team to shape newscasts
• Execute news coverage by coordinating reporters, field crews, and assignment desk staff
• Communicate with management and production staff on the status of coverage and stories
• Partner with News and Engineering management regarding assignment and utilization of ENG equipment
• Monitor schedules to avoid possible pay practice and overtime issues
• Short & long term news coverage planning
• Coordinate flow of information to digital and broadcast team simultaneously
• Coaching, training and professional development of others
• Annual performance evaluations and daily feedback
• Knowledge of industry trends and incorporating into workflow to provide a competitive advantage
• Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or related field, or equivalent work experience
• Minimum 5 years experience working at an assignment desk in top 20 market
• Minimum 10 years of newsroom experience
Additional Job Requirements
• Must be willing to work in Newton, MA
• Must have a flexible schedule with willingness to travel and work long hours and on weekends with short notice
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated.
• Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• Fluency in Spanish a plus
• Solid news judgment, strong writing and research skills
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news, environment
• Proven strong journalistic leadership, with the ability to assign, direct and supervise broadcast news coverage
• Ability to select, manage and develop assignment and planning editors
• Basic understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Thorough knowledge satellite operations and microwave systems, including the logistics aspect of deploying personnel and equipment for the purpose of electronic newsgathering
• Demonstrated ability to drive process improvements
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with desire learn emerging technologies and invent the future
• Believes that teams are smarter and more dynamic together
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r70259-3-238-90-95-42 in your application.