The Assignment Editor & Web Editor plays a major role in the day-to-day execution of NBC Connecticut's multiplatform news strategy, working with other local staff, including reporters, photographers, digital team members, producers and assignment editors to ensure the station's broadcast and digital content is up-to-the-minute, differentiated, impactful and relevant to the local audiences. The role combines acute attention to detail, rapid response, editorial judgment, consistent execution and project-management responsibilities within a 24/7 newsgathering operation.
As an Assignment Editor you will be responsible for: conceiving and executing news coverage, coordinating and managing day-to-day assignments for field crews and planning ahead for coverage of weather events, station initiatives and large-scale stories like election night.
As a Web Editor you will be responsible for: gathering, writing, editing and publishing local news content – focusing on (but not limited to) News, Weather and Traffic – on the NBCConnecticut.com website, mobile app, social media platforms and other properties.
• Participate in daily editorial planning meetings
• React quickly and aggressively to breaking news
• Dispatch crews and information in a timely and organized manner
• Enterprise story ideas and work with reporters and producers on story development
• Gather information for newscasts, set up stories in advance
• Communicate with producing staff on the status of coverage and reporter stories
• Coordinate field crews daily assignments, and monitor journalistic and editorial elements of newsgathering in the field
• Monitor police scanners, social media platforms and electronic/printed sources for news
• Update station's social media platforms as the voice of NBC Connecticut
• Act as key liaison between newsroom and digital teams
• Support development and production of station's OTT content
• Establish a network of contacts and sources across Connecticut
• Coordinate with other Assignment Editors and the Managing Editor for carry-over of stories from day to day
• Cooperate with and support NBC News, Newschannel and other Owned Television stations
• At least 1 year experience working in print, online or television news in a medium to large sized market
• Experience as an Assignment Editor in a medium to large sized broadcast news market
• Demonstrated knowledge of AP Style writing and guidelinesDesk
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through the www.nbcunicareers.com site
• Must be willing to work in West Hartford, CT
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation
• Must be 18 years or greater
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must have ability to work any of a 24x7 shift, particularly holidays, weekends and overnights/early mornings
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications or related field.
• Proficient in Dalet Galaxy.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Strong interpersonal skills. Team player.
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Candidate must be a self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, strong news judgment and good instincts. Ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions and act decisively under stress and tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of the logistics aspect of deploying personnel and equipment for the purpose of electronic newsgathering.
• Proficient in Social Media platforms, such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5kkj0-18-206-238-77-42 in your application.