News 4 New York is looking for an Overnight Assignment Desk Editor and the ideal candidate will be responsible for coordinating the team around news stories, as well as, reporter and field crew resources. Providing status of coverage to management will be critical, as well as establishing a network of contacts and sources across the New York DMA. Coordinating day-to-day assignments.
• Schedule stories for future newscasts and segments.
• Break stories, work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news. Gather information for newscasts, set up stories in advance and assist newscast producer in all aspects of the show.
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news.
• Enterprise story ideas and work with reporters and producers to develop stories. Conceive and execute news coverage and make front line editorial decisions on a story-by-story basis. Develop story ideas and clearly articulate them.
• Participate in daily planning meetings. Coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects. Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet department editorial goals.
• Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories. Dispatch crews and information in a timely and organized manner. Coordinate reporters, photographers, and other personnel to cover stories.
• Set up and coordinate live remotes inside and outside the building. Multi-task and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
• Monitor journalistic and editorial elements of newsgathering in the field. Communicate with production staff on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate reporters, field crews, and assignment desk staff. -Communicate with production staff and management on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate with other Assignment Editors and the Managing Editor for carry-over of stories from day to day.
• Monitor blogs, social media, and area papers for potential stories. Compile a list of possible stories to be followed up on by news staff.
• Develop and cultivate contacts within the community for news stories. Establish network of contacts and sources across the New York area. Cooperate with and support NBC News, Newschannel and other NBC Owned stations.
• Coordinate with NBCNewYork.com editors to break stories online and update news articles as information changes
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• At least 4 years' experience including: work in a broadcast news environment, coordinating assignments, generating story ideas.
• Two years' experience as an Assignment Editor.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• This is an overnight/morning position. Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
• Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Must be willing to work in NYC.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Strong interpersonal skills. Team player.
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Candidate must be a self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, strong news judgment and good instincts. Ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions and act decisively under stress and tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of the logistics aspect of deploying personnel and equipment for the purpose of electronic newsgathering.
• Show producing or field producing.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g33m49-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.