Freelance Researcher – NBC Sports
• Develop, compile and circulate information about sports and athletes on NBC Sports including but not limited to the NHL, golf, Premier League, NFL, Olympics, NASCAR, horse racing and cycling
• Maintain the accuracy and integrity of on-air content
• Work with producers and on-air talent to develop story ideas, gather story-related research, and fact check scripts (both pre-produced and live broadcast)
• Prepare on-air talent prior to shows, and provide accurate, on the spot information during broadcasts
• Duties include contributing to production and editorial meetings, creating and writing a daily research and story memo for production and talent, and responding to specific research requests
• Researchers are expected to become experts in the stories, athletes, rules, results, and histories in every sport televised by NBC Sports
• Contribute to research projects across NBC Sports Group properties, as required
• Bachelor's degree required.
• Strong knowledge of and interest in sports – particularly sports airing on NBC Sports platforms.
• Experience working in sports – particularly network level research and writing – preferred.
• Proven journalistic writing ability. Submission of writing samples required.
• Demonstrated editorial judgment and fact-checking ability.
• Strong background in journalism
• Experience as a senior writer or editor at a college/professional daily newspaper or top line magazine.
• Experience working in a sports information office.
• Experience providing sports information for on-air broadcasters.
• Experience conducting in-person and phone interviews.
• Strong working knowledge of various research sources and methods.
• Position will be work from home until further notice. Applicants must be willing to work in Stamford, CT at a future date.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be 18 years or older
• It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal' s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
• Candidates should be versatile, self-motivated, energetic and able to work well both independently and as part of a group.
• Sound editorial judgment and clear, efficient writing ability.
• Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure, meet deadlines, sustain focus on assigned duties and multi-task.
• Must be willing to work nights and on weekends.