Want to work with one of America's most trusted and loved brands? As one of the biggest brands in the lifestyle space with more than 50M unique visitors for the last eight of the nine months, we're looking forward to our biggest year of growth yet. With a significant investment in the future of TODAY Digital, we're innovating and creating new ways to help audiences live better, more informed, happier, and healthier lives. This is an exciting time to join our team!
The TODAY Digital team is hiring for a Weekend Editor based in NY – editing trends, pop culture, moments from the TODAY Show broadcast as well as news of day. We're looking for an independent self-starter with a strong editorial eye, who finds interesting stories and builds original angles on trends. This position will work a schedule of Saturday – Wednesday.
This position requires an audience-focused approach with a knack for identifying the most shareable angle within a story. Candidates should be motivated to drive social and trending conversations forward, identify news making moments, build out original angles and create compelling headlines and copy to move a story forward.
This position is represented by the News Guild.
The right candidate should:
Be versatile – able to easily flex between topics like news, pop culture, trends, internet culture, celebrity, news and more.
A headline master, quickly able to distill a story into its most shareable elements.
Quick and accurate: Typos drive you crazy. Factual errors keep you up at night. You stay calm under pressure, think fast, and turn stories around quickly.
Have a gut instinct for a good story. You're decisive on angles and assignments, and you write in a fun, clear, TODAY-friendly voice. If you love to spot a story as it's going viral and have a great sense of what will turn into a talker before it's all over the internet, this is the job for you.
Have a love of and passion for trends and pop culture, and pride yourself on seeing things first.
Be organized and independent.
Speak fluent Instagram and Facebook. Be comfortable framing stories for and posting them to our social media platforms, identifying the content that will resonate with our audience and lend itself to being widely shared.
Love data: candidates must display a knack for using analytics to help guide story selection and pivoting based on performance.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and comparable work
• 5+ years of writing/editing experience in a newsroom
• Expert knowledge of AP style, writing and editing
• The ability to work independently and be a self-starter
• Experience and comfort with working independently and
multi-tasking during high-pressure situations.
• A deep knowledge of social media and the latest trends
in social and digital media.
• Expertise writing SEO and social headlines
• An awareness of TODAY personalities and brands.
• You're obsessed with the latest trends on social media
and know how to turn those trends into shareable stories
• You have a gut instinct for what is the TODAY brand and
the important news of the day.
• Quick and accurate at all times
• Proactive – you're two steps ahead of what our audience
needs to know
• Savvy with Domo and Chartbeat: You use analytics to
help guide homepage placement and pivot based on
• Positive attitude and an open mind, you're eager to help
when needed and take feedback or criticism well.
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but
highly rewarding news environment
• Preferably based in NY
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g63zx8-54-80-249-22-42 in your application.