Digital Platforms Editor
New York, NY
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
The weekend news editor should have a proven track record of handling coverage of the biggest events across all types of news, including stories about politics, law enforcement, health, race, social injustice, the economy and popular culture, among many other topics. The editor will often have to react instantly and responsibly to breaking news and be similarly adept at thinking of where a story is headed next so that NBC News will remain ahead of its competition.
On the weekends, the editor will lead all editorial content on NBCNews.com and will have to make quick judgments on which events to cover and how to cover them. The editor will supervise reporters to write breaking stories quickly, provide headlines and social media guidance and write breaking alerts to go with them. The editor will have experience overseeing reporters and other editors and lay out assignments with clear directions that foster sharp, pointed stories.
It's important to be obsessive about storytelling and presentation for a mobile audience and to understand the power of social media for reporting, discovery and distribution.
Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Manage daily coverage of both breaking news and enterprise reporting.
• Help set editorial agenda and pitch story ideas to pursue.
• Work closely with other editors including those on the platforms team, in the London bureau and on the politics team.
• Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• Help the planning editor determine which enterprise and feature stories should be published over the weekend and get these articles ready to be published.
• Expertise writing and editing SEO, social and homepage headlines.
• 5 or more years as an editor in a newsroom environment, with an emphasis on digital news, including demonstrated
experience editing breaking news and in-depth features.
• Candidates should demonstrate their experience in
assigning, writing and editing stories, and there is a
preference for editors who have managed employees.
• Open to working a flexible schedule.