Want to work with one of America's most trusted and loved brands? As one of the biggest brands in the lifestyle space with more than 50M unique visitors, TODAY Digital is looking forward to our biggest year of growth yet. With a significant investment in the future, we're innovating and creating new ways to help audiences live better, more informed, happier, and healthier lives.
TODAY Digital is looking for energetic newsletter and trending writer to cover news of the morning, breaking news and interviews from broadcast and general trends. This role is expected to work early morning hours.
The ideal candidate is a skilled and experienced writer who can write on deadline in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment; is well-versed in entertainment and celebrity culture; has their pulse on conversations happening across social media and the web; and isn't afraid to lean into a voice-y or conversational headline. The topics will range from news of the morning, interviews and segments across all four hours of the TODAY broadcast, to pop culture and social trends.
This position is represented by the News Guild.
• Write clean, fast and accurate copy for multiple stories daily. Help find the interesting angles, elements and sources to elevate a story.
• Be versatile. You must be able to easily flex between topics like hard news, pop culture, health, parenting, food and more. You know who Joe Manchin is, but you also know who Kourtney Kardashian is dating.
• Seamlessly craft headlines for stories and social that resonate with audiences with a knack for finding a hook into a piece.
• You understand pictures matter, and you will work with the art department to find the photos or create an illustration to make your story stand out.
• Understanding of sourcing and outreach. Have a knack for reaching the right sources quickly and getting reporting or quotes to push the story forward. Don't be afraid of the phone.
• Be a stickler for grammar, following the rules of AP style and meticulously fact-checking copy before filing.
• Pitch innovative stories, beyond the headlines everyone else is writing - whether it's a bounce on the story of the day or a longer, in-depth feature.
• Experience in broadcast news or a working familiarity with how a TV news program is put together is a plus.
• Follow the rules of AP Style and meticulously fact-check copy before filing.
• 4+ years of writing experience in a newsroom
• Expertise writing SEO and social headlines
• Ability to write clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines, and
photo and video captions
• Experience operating in a CMS
• Must be based in New York or LA
• Have a gut instinct for a good story. You're decisive on angles and assignments, and you write in a fun, clear, TODAY-friendly voice.
• Quick and accurate at all times: Typos drive you crazy. Factual errors keep you up at night. You stay calm under pressure, think fast, and turn stories around quickly and with no drama.
• Proactive – you're constantly in search of an amazing story that hasn't been told.
• Speak fluent Instagram, Twitter and Facebook (extra points for TikTok!). You're obsessed with the latest trends and know how to turn those trends into shareable stories.
• Savvy with CrowdTangle, Domo and Chartbeat: You use analytics to help guide story selection and pivot based on performance.
• Armed with a positive attitude. You're ready to tackle any and every story sent your way, regardless of topic.
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive but highly rewarding news environment.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d81kvm-54-144-55-253-42 in your application.