Senior Director- Group
New York, NY
NBC News THINK is home to ideas, opinions and hot topics, going beyond the daily headlines to deepen our audience's understanding of different perspectives and unfolding debates. The THINK team is seeking an opinion editor to commission and edit submissions for quick-turn op-eds off the latest politics and culture news, probing analysis pieces on trends and policy issues and original personal essays from diverse voices.
As an opinion editor, you will have a sensitive antenna for the most thought-provoking currents in news, politics, culture, technology, the arts, gender and racial issues - and every other field imaginable and emerging. You will have an eye for new forms of storytelling and have a keen sense of when to employ essays, video, data visualizations, podcasts or interactives to best drive a point. You will have excellent judgment about content that adds to the national conversation and what's just noise. You will have a deep understanding of journalistic standards and a track record that shows you can hew to the values of NBC News.
Contributions to THINK will come from inside NBC and outside our walls. You will be expected to have wide-ranging relationships with potential contributors and a desire to cultivate new ones. You will have superb writing and editing skills, a history of leadership and the ability to contribute to a positive, productive team atmosphere in a fast-tempo newsroom, occasionally beyond conventional office hours.
• Edit content created for THINK vertical
• Cultivate and help build a team of contributors both inside and outside NBC News
• Work with visual journalists and the data graphics team on data visualizations, interactives and special projects
• Help produce THINK newsletter and run social accounts
• Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including newsgathering, multimedia and broadcast journalism
• Meet NBC News' rigorous Standards and Legal guidelines
• Ensure the tone and mix of content is in line with NBC News digital editorial strategy and the voice of NBC News as a whole
• Read widely and stay abreast of the competition
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent relevant work
• 5 or more years editing in a newsroom environment,
including experience with breaking news
• 2 or more years working in a strictly digital shop
• Must have demonstrated experience with assigning,
writing, editing and producing stories
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication
and planning skills
Additional Job Requirements:
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY
• Team player who wants to foster a culture of generosity,
helpfulness, dialogue and collaboration
• 'News addict' who is constantly thinking about ways to
push the conversation forward
• Free-thinking, curious mind who is eager to take on new
challenges sees opportunity in change, and
initiative in an ever-evolving news landscape
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx7j11-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.