New York, NY
The NBC News Production Engineering and Maintenance department is responsible for systems and processes supporting global news gathering operations. With central operations located in New York, NY the team focus is on building, supporting and maintaining broadcast equipment and software ranging from ingest, editing, transcoding, archives and playout to air for news, entertainment, sports and special events.
• Provide entry to mid support of news production systems in a 24/7/365 live television production environment for systems serving thousands of clients across multiple NBC brands.
• Handling on-air user/system issues and providing solutions under vendor software licensing agreements.
• Documentation of standard operating procedures and workflows.
• Planning, scheduling and performing upgrades and preventative maintenance across all supported systems.
• Serve as on-call resource for internal and other NBC support teams, involving on-site coverage during normal business hours as well as on-call support before/after normal working hours.
• Perform system-level troubleshooting of technical software and hardware and other computer and server systems associated with news production. This is applicable to both bare metal and virtual environments.
• Willingness to adopt new systems, technologies and processes to meet future growth of our business needs.
• Track issues and resolutions while maintaining communications within the team, operational groups, vendors and clients.
• Performing root cause analysis.
• Provide cross-training and knowledge transfer for both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Candidate must have 3+ years of systems management experience or equivalent educational experience in media and systems support
• An Associate Degree in a relevant technical discipline, or certificate from an accredited technical training institution
• General knowledge of computing and network systems, standards, applications and methodologies
• Experience working with IT systems and web technologies, with a working knowledge of network protocols, standards, and fundamentals (e.g. DNS, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, VLANS, etc.)
• Familiarity with broadcast production or video productions systems, including basic knowledge of non-liner editing tools like Avid Media Composer a plus
• Willingness to work overtime and/or extended shifts, and on weekends and company holidays with short notice to meet the business needs
• Able to work 24/7/365 to provide phone and in person support and travel occasionally for offsite upgrades and training and professional development opportunities
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, working independently and as part of a team in a collaborative manner
• Strong sense of urgency and ability to triage competing priorities effectively
• Highly customer focused and very responsive
• Able to effectively communicate technical information, actions and/or next steps to technical and non-technical personnel with a cool, levelheaded approach
• Strong desire to learn and cross-train in new technologies and passion to maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies
• Takes accountability for action items and requests including those outside of his/her direct control, following up and leaving nothing to chance
• Must be willing to work at 30 Rockefeller Plaza New York, NY and from home as scheduled.
• Software and Script development.
• Experience with various databases (Oracle, SQL) a plus
• Knowledge of Media Asset Management systems is a plus
• Experience and knowledge of end-to-end post-production workflows including media ingest, edit, playback (from capture to archive) a plus
• Scripting experience (Shell, Perl, Python, etc.) a plus
• Experience and working knowledge in modern monitoring platforms, including Zenoss, Splunk, New Relic, or App Dynamics are a plus
• Working knowledge of the support ticketing lifecycle (end-to-end) and the ITIL process, especially experience in ServiceNow is a plus