The NBC Washington News Bureau engineering department is charged with supporting NBC News and all its subsidiaries including MSNBC with control room, studio and remote broadcast capabilities to cover all major news events in Washington DC and world-wide. Candidate for this position must be able to work alone or with a team under extreme conditions and deadlines and deal with a flexible work schedule including holidays, weekends and evenings and overtime. Candidate must be available for overnight and/or overseas travel to natural disasters or conflict-ridden parts of the world, or otherwise hazardous locations.
• Collaborate with show editorial staff to ensure staff and facilities are in place for studio shows. Includes selection of crew, booking of facilities and travel, video routing, camera locations, etc.
• Plan and execute technical support for major NBC News remotes worldwide including equipment procurement, complete logistical support, and personnel booking/scheduling consistent with budgetary guidelines.
• Train personnel on new workflows
• Bachelor's degree Broadcast Journalism, Engineering or related job experience.
• Valid passport with no limitation on international travel required.
• 2-5 years experience in a television station or network
• Documented success in the planning/supervision of television remote productions
• Basic knowledge of IT systems, TCP/IP protocols, fiber networks, AVID non-linear editing systems, and VoIP applications
• Experience in control room operations and live productions
• Basic knowledge of financial planning principles including cost/benefit analysis, payback period computations, and NPV.
• Must be willing to perform the above duties overseas in under-developed countries and/or areas of military conflict.
• Must be willing to travel on short notice for extended periods, which may include working overnights, weekends, holidays, and overtime.
Additional Job Requirements:
• Must be willing to work in Washington, DC.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, under tight deadline pressure, including breaking news.
• Excellent verbal and written communication abilities
• Solution oriented
• Able to problem solve and troubleshoot as the need arise and in time-critical situations
• Excellent computer and technical skills
• Time management and organizational skills
• Active listening and communication skills
• Ability to think creatively
• Coordination and teamwork skills