Who We Are
NBC News Digital is creating the digital future for one of the world's best-known and most-trusted news organizations. Our Digital Technology organization is at the center of building and improving a suite of digital products including user experiences across web, mobile apps, OTT devices, storytelling tools including CMS and curation systems, and a platform to distribute that content to hundreds of millions of users. Our brands include NBC News, Today, MSNBC, CNBC, E! News, and Telemundo Noticias.
We are hiring with remote flexibility in multiple locations where our teams are based: New York, NY; Seattle, WA; Englewood Cliffs, NJ; Universal City, CA.
This is an opportunity to play a critical role in the digital evolution of NBC News, one
of the world's best known and most trusted news organizations.
As a Software Engineer, you will partner with the Product, Operations, Design, and Editorial teams to bring NBC News Digital content to life. You will be a significant influence on our product roadmap, bringing a technical and strategic perspective. You will work alongside fellow inspired developers in a fast-paced environment using technologies like Sass, React.js and GraphQL to help shape the future of digital news.
This role will report into the Senior Manager of Engineering, News Digital.
• Work on the React.js codebases supporting today.com, msnbc.com, and nbcnews.com
• Build out GraphQL queries to consume data for all web properties
• Implement beautiful UX for engaging news storytelling
• Optimize sites across an array of web-capable devices, browsers and experiences
• Automate front end testing to ship the highest quality experience for our audience
• Write code and tests that are understandable and maintainable
• Debug effectively within their primary area to help find root cause
• Provide helpful, timely code reviews
• Collaborate professionally with teammates and peers
• Communicate with engineering precision, escalating blockers quickly, clarifying requirements and sharing assumptions
• Seek understanding of how users interact with product/service
• Exhibit a growth mindset and make investments in your growth and teammates' growth
• 3+ years' experience in software development or related
framework (e.g. React.js, Vue.js, Aurelia)
• B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Information
Systems, or equivalent industry experience
• Strong proficiency in either CSS/Sass development or a
server-side programming language (e.g. Node.js, Go,
Java) in the context of a website
• Experience implementing responsive designs using
HTML and a CSS preprocessor (SASS, PostCSS, LESS)
and DOM manipulation
• Understanding of bundlers, transpilers and
preprocessors (Webpack, Babel, SASS)
• Strong problem-solving skills, logical and creative
• Experience with version control
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5px21-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.