Researcher, Nightly News
New York, NY
The Producer for Special Events and Nightly News Weekend is a shared role that will help produce live breaking news special reports as well as pieces for Nightly News Weekend. The role offers an opportunity to be a part of the biggest moments in breaking news, and to work on longer-lead feature pieces for Nightly. It also offers unique involvement in both live producing and tape producing.
This person will coordinate live feeds during breaking news, will communicate with the news desk as well as correspondents in the field. The producer will also help identify key video and sound and work with producers and editors to turn it around for air. And the producer will line up all of these elements and communicate them to the director and senior producers.
In addition, this person will also produce tape pieces to work ahead toward big news events, involving setting up, shooting, and editing. There will also be some writing for both tape and live.
For Nightly News, the Producer will work ahead on feature stories, overseeing all aspects of production – from setting up to shooting to writing and editing. The Producer will also work on news-of-day crash pieces as well, working under tight deadlines to produce pieces for that night's air.
The position offers unique access to the excitement of breaking news and the polished storytelling of Nightly News Weekend.
• Build out iNews rundowns for Specials programming
• Research, compile and work with editors on key footage for obituaries of key political figures, celebrities and major newsmakers
• Manage the Special Unit's video library
• Provide editorial and logistical support for major event coverage planning and execution
• Desktop editing on Avid Media Composer for breaking news and event coverage
• Compile research briefs for major stories
• Stay across developing and breaking news to monitor for stories that meet the threshold for network coverage
• Scout locations for MSNBC special programs that meet broadcast and editorial requirements and then work with crews and directors onsite to build out field sets
• Work with booking team on guests and audiences for live MSNBC special programs and assist with onsite audience management
• Manage live programs from the field, including acting as a liaison with teams on the ground and the show team in the control room
• Coordinating producer for major news events that involve multiple NBC News entities ensuring smooth coverage for all involved
• Provide guidance and feedback to Production Assistant/Researchers
• Hire interns to work with the Specials Unit and manage their time with the team
• Must have a Bachelor's degree
• Editorial depth of knowledge for both domestic and
• Strong journalistic writing skills, research skills, and
Additional Job Requirements:
• Must be willing to work in NYC
• Must be willing to work overtime, nights, holidays, and
weekends, often with short notice
• Must be comfortable working long hours under pressure
and intense production deadlines and schedules
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong storytelling ability