New York, NY
NBC News Digital seeks an exceptional politics reporter to join its newsroom.
The successful candidate will be an ambitious, well-rounded journalist who can juggle multiple editorial tasks in a breaking-news environment, as well as expertly handling deeply reported enterprise pieces, features, and investigative stories.
This role is primarily on the breaking news beat, covering national political news that ranges across topics. On any given day, you may be writing about the White House, a congressional hearing, a newsmaker TV appearance, a new poll, or a protest.
We are looking for someone who has the ability to write focused, muscular stories on tight deadlines is a must, along with crafting long-form stories with voice and style. We are looking for a reporter who is looking to do high-quality journalism that can capture the day's news and also push to resonate beyond it. An interest in video and alternative storytelling techniques, including data visualization, is a plus.
This position is a Sun-Thurs position. This reporter will work closely with the NYC-based and DC-based team of digital politics reporters and editors, as well as those on the NBC News TV side who also contribute to digital politics.
Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The job will likely involve occasional travel to DC and national political hotspots of the moment.
• Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles for reported pieces on the big stories of the day
• Be able to quickly execute quick hits for breaking news as well as take the lead on enterprise reporting, from interviewing sources to reporting in the field
• Cultivate sources and contacts on stories and areas of expertise
• Share information with broader NBC News network in a timely fashion and communicate seamlessly with other reporters and editors
• 3 or more years of experience in reporting
• Must be excited to join an iconic news organization and own its space
• Knowledge of DC/national politics
• Self-starter who is hungry to break news, eager to jump on the day's biggest talkers, able to pitch and report stories that are original, sharp and distinct
• The ideal applicant will also have a track record of scoops, small-medium-large
• Driven to grow and learn more