We create world-class content, which we distribute across our portfolio of film, television, and streaming, and bring to life through our theme parks and consumer experiences. We own and operate leading entertainment and news brands, including NBC, NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC Sports, Telemundo, NBC Local Stations, Bravo, USA Network, and Peacock, our premium ad-supported streaming service. We produce and distribute premier filmed entertainment and programming through Universal Filmed Entertainment Group and Universal Studio Group, and have world-renowned theme parks and attractions through Universal Destinations & Experiences. NBCUniversal is a subsidiary of Comcast Corporation.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, coupled with our Corporate Social Responsibility work, is informed by our employees, audiences, park guests and the communities in which we live. We strive to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. Together, we'll continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world.
NBC News Digital is seeking an experienced Editor to oversee its politics breaking coverage on weekend days for NBCNews.com. The shift is Wednesday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. This is the lead politics role on the weekends.
The breaking desk is the heart of the politics team on NBCNews.com. The reporters and editors cover and bring together all the latest news around campaigns, Congress, the White House, state legislatures and everything else, as well as work closely with our broadcast partners to bring the best of their coverage to the site.
The editor should be across all breaking political news on the weekends and reacting with accuracy and speed. This could involve taking feeds from reporters on the campaign trail, keeping an eye on what's resonating on social media and overseeing coverage of the Sunday morning news shows, including ''Meet the Press.''
The right candidate can assign articles clearly and edit them crisply, headlining them fairly and off the news of the moment.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
• Lead politics coverage on weekends and assist the larger politics team during the week
• Assign and edit news stories to ensure they are thorough, well written, accurate and authoritative
• Monitor and oversee coverage of the Sunday morning news shows
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news and be prepared to jump on developments as soon as they happen
• Occasionally write up news when necessary
• Collaborate with other digital editors and staffers across the broadcast group on breaking news coordination, ensuring the latest reporting gets up on NBCNews.com
• Make sure stories are optimized with SEO, catchy headlines, strong ledes and visual elements to help tell our stories
• Crafting alerts in seconds that beat the competition - with acute attention to detail at all times; should be comfortable with, at times, making quick independent decisions on fast-breaking news
• 4 or more years professional journalism experience
• At least 2 years editing politics news
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of relevant working experience
• Skilled editor with outstanding communication skills
• Expertise in writing SEO and optimizing stories for different platforms; knowing when we need to jump on a story - and when we don't
• Have a strong interest in live coverage of news events, including live blogging, and experience working on live blogs is a plus
• Comfortable assigning and editing stories on all topics and know how to move a story forward and make it catch on fire; pulling in the best reporting around the network - no matter the platform - and present it on the site
• Thrives in a fast-paced environment
• An expert planner with sharp news judgment who can spot which stories need our attention and which don't
• An excellent communicator who can work well with others in a variety of roles at different levels of the company
• Extensive knowledge of politics and the political news landscape
• The creativity to think about how best to present stories to readers in a way that will catch their interest
• Fully Remote: This position has been designated as fully remote, meaning that the position is expected to contribute from a non-NBCUniversal worksite, most commonly an employee's residence.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $100,000-$130,000
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by emailing [email protected].
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d8np89-18-207-129-175-42 in your application.