This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA
NBC News Digital is seeking an experienced editor to join our politics team.
We're looking for someone who is quick and passionate about breaking news and a subject matter expert in national politics to help guide our evening coverage. As editor, you'll have to make quick judgments on what to cover and how. You'll supervise reporters to respond to news events quickly, provide sharp headlines and social media guidance and write push alerts to go with them. Once an initial story is published, you'll oversee it as it continues to be updated, vetting reporting thoroughly along the way. You'll make sure that the stories you're editing have the best photos, videos and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
You will work closely with the senior politics editor and other politics and news editors, with teams of political reporters, and with NBC's extensive resources on its network and cable platforms who are involved in political coverage. Ideally, you are comfortable handling a mix of fast-paced edits and features, and have experience and interest in generating original story ideas and developing fresh angles for the big stories of the day.
• Lead NBC News Digital's evening politics coverage
• Work with talented politics reporters with a wide range of experience levels to support their reporting and help make their stories better.
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to respond while exercising strong news judgment
• Ensure the tone of and mix of stories is in line with NBC News Digital editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News Digital
• Share information and collaborate with all NBC News platforms in a timely fashion.
• 3 or more years of editing experience for print or digital
• At least 2 years of experience covering US politics,
either as a reporter or editor
• Demonstrated ability to handle fast-paced edits, juggling
and reprioritizing stories based on news
• Ability to assign and edit stories on politics with speed
• Strong copy-editing skills and knowledge of AP style
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-roemp2-18-232-179-37-42 in your application.