Platforms Editor, Weekends
New York, NY
NBC News Digital is looking for a weekend editor to join its platforms team in New York City. The editor will curate the NBC News homepage and app, distribute news to its social channels, write breaking news alerts for app and email, and pitch content to partners such as Apple News, Yahoo, Flipboard and Smartnews.
The ideal candidate will have experience writing headlines and social copy, and an interest in SEO and analytics. They need to be a breaking news junkie who loves to get stories in front of as many eyes as possible. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in mobile trends and experience programming digital platforms for a news organization. They will know what compels audiences to read stories and watch video on mobile and desktop.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. Working on weekends, you will be part of a small but dedicated crew that is crucial in keeping our highly engaged audiences up to date. Experience and comfort working independently is a must.
Candidates need to have immaculate attention to detail and understand the importance of delivering an engaging and diverse mix of content on different platforms. They also need a breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit, and experience with publishing in a content management system. Candidates should be comfortable working in a hybrid WFH environment and juggling the large volume of comms that come with Slack, email and Teams meetings. Excellent communication skills are a must.
The position is full time and based in New York City. It will require working both Saturday and Sundays. This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
• Curate the NBC News homepage, app and social channels with a lively mix of breaking news, politics, enterprise reporting and video.
• Work independently using flawless news judgment to update multiple platforms while juggling many of the tasks below.
• Write and edit headlines, social copy and alerts for app and email.
• Pitch stories to Apple News, Smartnews, Flipboard, etc.
• Monitor real-time analytics to inform story curation and strategy.
• Partner with editors from sections around the newsroom to ensure their stories are promoted and distributed in all the right places.
• Work with the photo team to illustrate stories on the homepages and app.
2 or more years working as a homepage editor or social media editor at a digital news organization.
• Experience publishing in a CMS or in social distribution tools such as SocialFlow and True Anthem.
• A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and sports.
Experience multitasking during breaking news and meeting deadlines.
Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0e61j-44-201-94-72-42 in your application.