NBC News Digital is looking for an experienced editor to join its digital platforms team in Los Angeles to work evenings, Sunday-Thursday. The editor will curate NBC News and MSNBC's digital platforms, write breaking news alerts for app and email, and distribute content to partners such as Apple News, Yahoo, Flipboard and Smartnews.
The ideal candidate will be a talented headline writer, have a passion for analytics and SEO and have strong news judgment. They need to be a breaking news junkie, and love to get enterprise journalism in front of as many eyes as possible. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in mobile trends, and have experience programming digital platforms for a major news organization. They will know what compels audiences to read stories and watch video on mobile and desktop.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. The editor needs to show immaculate attention to detail, as well as a sense for the mix - balance, diversity and tone - of stories on our platforms. The candidate must also have the skill set of a frontline news editor: a breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit and experience with digital publishing in a content management system.
The candidate will preferably be based in Los Angeles, but candidates from around the country will be considered. A bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years' experience working for a news organization is required.
The position is a full-time role on a 12-month contract. The editor will report to NBC News Digital's bureau manager in Los Angeles.
• Curate the NBC News app, NBCNews.com and MSNBC.com with a lively mix of breaking news, politics, enterprise reporting and video
• Work independently using flawless news judgment to update multiple platforms while juggling many of the tasks below
• Write and edit mobile alerts for app and email
• Write sharp, compelling headlines for A/B testing
• Distribute and pitch stories to Apple News, Smartnews, Flipboard, etc.
• Monitor analytics to inform story curation and strategy
• Partner with editors from sections around the newsroom to ensure their stories are promoted and distributed in all the right places
• Work with the photo team to illustrate stories on the homepages and app
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and comparable work
• 3 or more years' experience working as a homepage editor or social media editor, preferably with experience at a major
• A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics,
race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and
• Must be comfortable collaborating in a creative but
demanding environment under tight deadlines
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gwnn8y-3-238-95-208-42 in your application.