New York, NY
NBC News Digital is hiring a national political reporter to write about politics as it is experienced in states and regions around the country, focusing on local and national issues that include racial and economic inequality, cultural and religious divisions, emerging voter trends, and the role of money and business in politics.
The candidate must have a strong knowledge of the national political map; the primary and general election processes; the role of race in the history of national politics; operatives at the state and national levels; activist groups, the candidates and their campaigns; conventions, debates and everything else that comes into play in a presidential campaign cycle and long afterwards. The reporter will also focus heavily on state politics news and the post-election landscape, whatever it turns out to be.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are based outside of New York, Washington or Los Angeles, particularly in the Midwest, to improve geographic diversity within our regional reporter staff. Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Generate original story ideas and develop fresh angles for reported pieces.
• Travel the country in search of great political stories.
• Cultivate sources and contacts to bring home exclusives.
• Be a self-starter hungry to break news, and pitch and report stories that are original, sharp and distinct.
• 2+ years writing about politics at a regional or national
newspaper, magazine, or digital news organization.
• 4+ years of professional journalism experience.
• Experience covering one or more previous presidential
campaigns is a plus.