Manager, Broadcast Systems Engineering
New York, NY
The NBC News Production Engineering department is seeking a knowledgeable individual to help troubleshoot and administer systems and processes supporting Newsgathering operations and production for our global NBC brands. With central operations located in New York, the focus is on building, supporting and maintaining broadcast equipment and software for ingest, editing, transcoding, archives and playout to air for News, Entertainment, Sports, Special Events and Day-to-Day production in our NY facility.
- Provide top-layer Maintenance Support to our newsroom systems, as well as hands-on design and implementation of new technologies, while working closely with multiple support teams across a geo-diverse set of systems and services in a 24/7 environment.
- Experience in newsroom server systems, particularly EVS and Avid Interplay Workgroups is required.
- Perform software installations and updates.
- Track issues through to resolution, while communicating with engineering, management and operational production clients.
- Interface with vendors and manufacturers to research and address support issues, feature requests, create bug reports and develop proof-of-concepts.
- Identify and plan for operational risks relative to production requirements over short, medium and long-term projects.
- Provide product support training and develop documentation for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Candidate must have 5+ years of system maintenance
experience with proven experience in media systems.
- Must be willing to work in New York, New York and/or
remotely connected from home.
- A Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering,
System Integration, or relevant technical disciplines and
certifications from an accredited technical training
institution. Proven experience may be substituted.
- Expert knowledge of Window Server/Client OS.
- Experience with modern television production methods
- Working knowledge of HD video and audio signal
manipulation and signal routing, as well as transcoding
systems design, configuration and management.
- Must have system level trouble shooting knowledge of
the following hardware & software or equivalent:
o Windows/MAC/Linux OS.
o EVS (XT3, XTAccess, IPDirector, IPEdit, Xstore,
o Avid (Interplay Production/Archive and MAM,
Network Storage-ISIS/Nexis, Ingest-Multi-
stream/Airspeed5500, Editing-Media Composer,
o File Ingest with Glookast, Telestream Vantage,
Root6, Aspera, Adobe (Prelude, Media Encoder,
Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and
o Archive solutions for SGL, Ecodigital (Front Porch
Digital), BlackPearl and LTO Libraries
o Traditional Broadcast equipment such as, Tape
Machines, A/V Monitoring, Signal Flow (DA's,
MUX/DEMUX, Conversion, Jack Fields, QC
Stations), KVM, Tuners, and other
computer/server systems associated with news
o Anti-Virus, Networking, and Firewalls.
- Willingness to work overtime and/or extended shifts, on
weekdays or weekends with short notice.
- Able to travel occasionally for offsite upgrades, training
and professional development opportunities.
- Must be able to lift equipment packages weighing up to
*This is a NABET position. Candidate must be willing to join NABET if not already a member.
- Strong Operational familiarity with broadcast production,
workflows, or video productions systems, including
knowledge of non-liner editing tools (particularly Avid
Media Composer and EVS).
- Experience with server/client Virtualization protocols.
- Knowledge of Windows Active Directory and automated
software deployment such as SCCM.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong desire to learn and cross-train in new
technologies and passion to maintain current knowledge
of relevant technologies.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects
simultaneously, working independently and as part of a
team in a collaborative manner.
- Demonstrate strong skills in the areas of analysis,
organization and escalation.
- Excellent communication skills, with a cool levelheaded
- Able to clearly & succinctly communicate actions and/or
- Highly customer focused and very responsive (listens,
understands and acts).