New York, NY
NBC News Digital is hiring a creative and strategic thinker to help package and distribute its outstanding original and enterprise reporting across search, social and NBC-owned platforms with the aim to build loyalty, grow audience and deepen engagement.
As a member of NBC News' social and platforms team, the engagement editor will be responsible for ensuring its content thrives and find audiences wherever they exist across social, search and our owned platforms.
The ideal candidate must be able to seamlessly switch between crafting compelling headlines, app alerts and Facebook posts to thinking strategically about how best to distribute, package and share NBC News reporting with the goal of deeply engaging our audience. The position requires an audience-focused approach and the successful candidate will have a knack for finding the hook into a piece. They'll know what makes different audiences tick, and will be able to package a story for a variety of platforms with nuance, sophistication and flare. In addition to being able to craft compelling social posts, SEO and homepage headlines, the engagement editor will be an analytics junkie who loves to dig into data and trends.
This editor will be tasked with creating and executing strategic distribution plans for the NBC News' enterprise reporting, including articles and features video, but they will also work on daily stories - writing headlines, social posts and alert language, as well as feeding into daily and weekly planning. They will A/B test headlines and to post to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as pitch partners.
This role requires strong writing and editing skills, and is best suited for a creative thinker who can multitask and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in remote newsroom and juggling the multitude of communication channels the large volume of comms that come with Slack, email and Teams meetings. Excellent communication skills are a must.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA and is based in New York but candidates from around the country will be considered.
• Write and edit eye-catching copy for News social platforms, homepage, newsletters, alerts, and more.
• Post stories and video on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
• Along with social and platforms editors, develop creative and original ways to promote our journalism, with the goal of deeply engaging our readers and growing audiences.
• Use real-time analytics and A/B test headlines to help inform story packaging, posting and curation.
• Analyze traffic data and audience engagement; review rollout efforts and continually iterate on strategy.
• Track audience growth and reach across social platforms, in addition to on NBC News' owned & operated sites.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and comparable work
• 4 or more years in a digital newsroom, including writing or
editing for social. Experience news editing isn't required
but would be preferred.
• A strong understanding of the social ecosystem and SEO
best practices. An insatiable curiosity for digital
audiences and how they consume content across
• Experience using analytics tools such as Chartbeat,
Parse.ly, Google Trends, Google Analytics, Taboola
Newsroom and Social Flow.
• Experience writing for different audiences
• An understanding that not all stories will be successful on every platform, but that appropriate framing for different spaces can make all the difference.
• Excellent communication skills and diplomacy. The ideal
candidate feels comfortable giving feedback to peers and can delicately navigate the politics of a large newsroom.
• Flexibility and creativity: The ideal candidate is a
problem-solver who can roll with the punches and adjust
when the newscycle upends the most carefully laid plans.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkee30-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.