Editor, Select On
New York, NY
NBC News Digital is looking for a director to lead its owned platforms team. The director of owned platforms will drive and shape NBC News' daily coverage and presentation for tens of millions of monthly readers on flagship platforms such as the homepage and app, and through news alerts, the morning newsletter, and partners like Apple News and Flipboard.
They will work closely with social platforms editors on copy and distribution strategy, making sure NBC News's award-winning journalism is shared in the most impactful and engaging ways possible.
The ideal candidate is an experienced editor with an audience-focused approach and a knack for finding the hook into a story. They'll know how to write for different platforms, and will know how to capture audiences across the digital ecosystem. They need to be able to seamlessly switch between crafting compelling copy, such as headlines, app alerts and social language, to thinking strategically about how best to share NBC News reporting with the goal of deeply engaging specific audiences. Experience analyzing data and iterating on strategy accordingly is essential.
This role is best suited for an agile, creative thinker who thrives on a big news day and can multitask and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will have experience managing editors and elevating the work of their direct reports. Excellent communication skills are a must.
The job is based in New York.
About the team
The platforms team is a 24/7 team with editors in NBC News' bureaus in New York City, Washington, Los Angeles and London, and remote locations around the US Platforms editors are responsible for curating the NBC News homepage and app, publishing to social channels, sending app and newsletter alerts, writing the Morning Rundown newsletter, and distributing stories to partners like Apple News and Flipboard. They work closely with section editors to write headlines and distribution copy, and to plan the rollout of stories.
-Manage a team of editors who publish NBC News' owned platforms and who optimize reporting for its homepage, app, newsletters, and social channels.
-Lead coverage of high-profile news events, including nation-stopping breaking news and election nights, on NBC News' owned platforms.
-Write and edit eye-catching copy for NBC News' homepage, app, social platforms, newsletters, alerts, and more.
-Develop distribution strategies and playbooks for breaking news, original reporting and enterprise reporting with the aim to grow audience and loyalty.
-Analyze traffic data and audience behavior and engagement; review rollout efforts and continually iterate on best practices.
-Work closely with NBC News' product, design and audience growth teams to enhance our strategies and user experience.
-Be an advocate and thought leader on the newsroom's best practices, from headlines and social copy to SEO, planning and distribution methods.
• 8 or more years in a digital newsroom, including experience news editing and managing direct reports.
• Experience publishing in a CMS and in social distribution tools such as SocialFlow and True Anthem.
• Experience using analytics tools such as Chartbeat, Parse.ly, Google Trends, Google Analytics, or Taboola Newsroom.
• Experience editing a homepage, app, or the social accounts for a digital news organization.
• A broad knowledge of current affairs, including politics, race, social justice, international affairs, pop culture and sports.
• Excellent communication skills: The ideal candidate feels comfortable giving feedback to peers and can delicately navigate the dynamics of a large newsroom.
-Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment.
-Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols if Company determines your job position requires accessing an NBCUniversal worksite.
-Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
• A basic understanding of SEO.
• An insatiable curiosity for digital audiences and how they consume content across different platforms.
• Flexibility and creativity: The ideal candidate is a problem-solver who can roll with the punches and adjust when the newscycle upends the most carefully laid plans.
• An understanding that not all stories will be successful on every platform, but that appropriate framing for different spaces can make all the difference.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1bw1v-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.