This is an opportunity to play a critical role in the digital evolution of NBC News, one of the world's best known and most trusted news organizations. NBC News Digital is responsible for the websites, mobile apps, OTT apps, and content tools that power the Today, MSNBC, NBC News and Telemundo brands. We ship high quality products that optimize our editorial workflows and delight millions of users.
As a Director of Engineering, you will partner with the Product, Operations, Design, and Editorial teams to bring NBC News Digital content to life on the web. You will be a significant influence on our product roadmap, bringing a technical and strategic perspective. You will be a steward of both our technical and overall culture. Your success will be measured by your ability to grow our engineering team, to foster a positive working environment, and to advance our technical vision in alignment with business and product goals.
• Manage a team of 10+ software engineers (may include 1-2 managers) working anywhere in our stack e.g. front end rendering layers, our content management systems, APIs, etc.
• Groom our future leaders and hire the best talent.
• Collapse ambiguity and provide context for your reports to help them succeed.
• Partner with cross-functional teams to drive projects forward, and to align our technical vision with product and business goals.
• Help shape our platform's technical vision and execute it.
• Manage technical risk and promote responsible innovation.
• Set the high-level technical roadmap and the quality standards for your domain.
• Be accountable for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex projects.
• BS (or higher, e.g., MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience.
• 8+ years experience in software development or related field(s).
• 3+ years recent experience of technical leadership and people management. Experience managing managers.
• Successful track record of advancing technical vision while delivering on product efforts/initiatives with high quality.
• Able to demonstrate experience building teams and/or organizations, including hiring and managing performance.
• Thoughtful and compassionate leader.
• Excellent written and verbal communication.