Sr. Software Engineer
New York, NY
Position OverviewWe are looking for software engineers to help us build the future of NBC News Digital's websites. We are looking for engineers that can help us on any level of our stack including (but not limited to) APIs and services, Editorial tools, front end engineering, etc. We are open to engineers at all levels of experience. NBC News Digital is great home for proactive engineers who can collaborate and inspire other engineers across several different teams.
Here at NBC News Digital, you will create the tools, infrastructure and digital experiences for one of the most trusted and wide-reaching news sources in the world. From building tools that empower reporters and editors to creating innovative, engaging, high-performance web and mobile experiences, our engineers are the backbone of NBC News, MSNBC and The TODAY Show's online presence.
We work with technologies like Node.js, React, Go, GraphQL, Elastic Search, RabbitMQ and more. We're also committed to collaboration - engineers here work with product managers, designers, other engineers, reporters and editors to deliver great software experiences for our users.Your Day Includes:
• Build, test, review, and ship software for our platforms, including our suite of APIs and microservices, editorial tools, and web frontends
• Partner with other engineering squads to collaboratively develop our APIs, content management and frontend systems
• Collaborate on the design of system architecture, data models, data flows, schemas and API contracts
• Be an advocate for your team and advise our product group, other development teams, and the newsroom. Serve as a leader and technical mentor for the group.
• Guide the selection and implementation of new architectures, technologies and methodologies in our group
What does NBC News Digital look for in a candidate?
The people who are most successful and have the most fun in our organization have the following attributes:
• You have top-notch skills in your technical domain.
Whether you work on the front-end, back-end or across
the stack, you can demonstrate fluency in the core areas
of technology you work with (calibrated to the level you're
at in your career). You also are committed to learning
and growing your skill set.
• You are user and product focused. You not only make
great technology, but you understand and are passionate
about how your work as a technologist makes products
more insightful, delightful, performant and profitable.
Engineers at NBC News Digital are expected to
contribute to the strategy, planning and execution of
• You're committed to collaboration. Engineers at NBC
News Digital work closely with other engineers as well as
product managers, designers, editors, reporters and
broadcasters. As an engineer you're expected to voice
your opinion, understand other people's point of view and
work with others to make great products and technology.
• You take ownership, are proactive and entrepreneurial.
You want to make technology work and are excited about
knocking down barriers to do that. You are OK with
ambiguity and work to reduce it by building and
prototyping. You push for solutions that solve immediate
problems while building towards long-term goals.
• You're a system thinker. You love to understand not only
how your code works but also how it fits into the larger
ecosystem of services.
• Experience with modern programming paradigms in
o We use Node.js and Go in our backends.
o Our data stores include MongoDB, PostgresSQL,
and more. We use ElasticSearch for queries and
Redis for caching.
o Our frontends are HTML and CSS/SASS
o We use React primarily as a frontend framework.
Experience with other frontend frameworks like Vue,
Mithril, Angular and others is also great.
• Experience with version control, peer review, and other
modern development practices.
• Experience working in the the AWS ecosystem is highly